1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2019 12:53 PM by Kelly McGrady Go to original post
      • 15. Re: YoY Calc
        Swarnalatha Mannar Mannan

Sorry Scott., Its my bad I should have given a little bit explanation.

FY Order Date <= Latest Date AND // this compares  given date to the max date in the dataset

FY Year = DATEPART("year", Latest Date ) AND // this compares the year of the given date to the year of the max date in the dataset

(int(((month(FY Order Date))%12)/3)+1) = DATEPART("quarter", Latest Date ) AND // this is for the quarter comparison

DATETRUNC( "month", FY Order Date) = DATETRUNC("month", Latest Date) // and finally the month

I used the quarter as well since I start my fy year in dec and want the first 3 months (dec-feb) to be the Q1, mar-may as Q2 and so on.

If you need further help, you can post your sample workbook

• 16. Re: YoY Calc
          Scott Carman

Kelly,

I ended up using a nested IF statement after looking at all of the options others have offered up here.

So my code looks a bit like this:

IF 2019 Fund THEN

IF Date = ‘2019 Date’ then

ELSEIF Date = ‘2019 Date’ THEN

END

ELSE IF 2018 Fund THEN

IF Date = ‘2018 Date’ then

ELSEIF Date = ‘2018 Date’ THEN

END

END

I know my solution is probably not the most eloquent but it gets the job done.

I guess what I find frustrating is the Tableau makes the assumption that everyone's length of time is just 12 months and that all years run from Jan - Dec.  In my case a fund can run for 24 months and the fiscal year runs from Oct - Sep.  Granted, I might be missing some of the understand in the more automated coding samples but the logic suggested seems to fail somewhere along the way and by using a more manual solution, it's consistent and repetitive.

Thanks all y'all for your help and suggestions!

Scott

Ryan Sleeper

• 17. Re: YoY Calc
            Kelly McGrady

Hey whatever works! Happy you found a solution

1 2 Previous Next