7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2019 7:05 AM by Jim Dehner

Shade areas on map by marks

John Spirawk

Hello Tableau Community!

I have attached a sample workbook along with a sample picture of the desired outcome. I'm looking to create a map that is shaded  based on the territory of each manager. There is overlap on some managers. The way that I got it done in my attached picture is by basically taking a snip of the map and putting it into Photoshop and manually creating the areas. However, this doesn't look as professional as I'd like it to and it's a very manual process. I have many regions I need to do this with and it would take a very long time. I'm hoping that someone out there has a few tricks that could make this a little bit easier.

• 1. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
          Don Wise

Hi John,

What you're looking to do is going to require some custom geocoding using software such as ESRI (paid) or QGIS (open source GIS software) to create custom polygon .shp files. Tableau will support the import of the .shp file but not the creation of it. The closest that you can get with your available data is something like the below; a filled map, based on your zip code data.  Best, Don

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 12.27.29 PM.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
            John Spirawk

Appreciate the response, Don! Would you have a link to a thread that may go over how to do this on QGIS?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
              Jim Dehner

Hi John and Don

Qgis is open source like Don said - you can download it and there is an online tutorial that is longer than needed -

I did something similar to this for a someone in Nashville (where I live) and it is not difficult just tough to find the right commands

this is what I ended up with

see the link to my public site - you can download it but it is only the Tableau after the Qgis

Tableau Public

the shapes are custom regions that were based on Zips that I merged together and the dots are zips on a separate layer - they are each layered in a shape file that I loaded into tableau - each layer is executable - you can select the region or any of the zips independently from the single view

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
                Don Wise

Hi Jim!

Also John, a more hacky method, because it does look like you're using zip codes for manager districts (?)  is to create an entire list of all zip codes and then assign the manager to each zip code in Excel, regardless of whether you have a sale or not; it's just a table of location data.  It'd be a lengthy process but hopefully you only need to do it once. Or using a COMPLETE list of zip codes, bring them in and create custom territories:  Create Territories on a Map - Tableau

Thereafter, your custom latitude and longitude points could be layered in using Dual-Axis feature in Tableau with sales and other related data.  Just another idea.  Best, Don

• 5. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
                  Jim Dehner

John

If you load qgis I will send you the the file that created the Tenn map above

Jim

• 6. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
                    John Spirawk

Jim

I have downloaded qgis.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Shade areas on map by marks
                      Jim Dehner

Ok I have attached a Qgis file

I started with the UZ ZCTA file - it is the  zip cope geo file from the US census

and crossed that with the State county file for Tn

then joined the 2 together resulting in this

I then split out each region and merged the county/zip together

splitting out each region separate  Look under merging from property table  just the counties

find the centroid for each Region

then created a single layer of regions - merged all the separate regions back together

laid the zips on a layer over the regions

and saved it as the attached files

You may need to play with some of the Qgis commands - I am doing this from memory

you then load the resulting shp file into tableau as a spatial file

and build the viz

then on the second copy I used zip and sual axised them together

It is a long process but you will learn a lot by going through it

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.