4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2019 8:33 AM by Vivek Br

calculated field on Color marks

Vivek Br

Hello All,

i have created a calculated field as shown below to compare the quarters with a parameter and when i drag this calculated field to color marks i'm not getting all values.

calculated field as below,

IF DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=0

THEN 'Current'

ELSEIF  DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=1

THEN 'Previous'

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=4

THEN 'Previous Year'

ELSE 'Older'

END

Note: Month and Year is a parameter created from Order Date.

Expecting to display Current, Previous, Previous Year and Older.

But

Result on viz Current and Older.

is there any calculations i'm doing wrong?

kindly help me on this.

Dataset : Superstore

Thank You

• 1. Re: calculated field on Color marks
          Jim Dehner

Hi

I'm not certain what you wanted but this is what you have

when I opened th book the parameter was set to the year 2013 so you would only get the 4Q on 2013 but noting the year before - and a total for Other

if the goal want to just show Q4 numbers  - ---   the other calc is just gett all the data that is not included in the  first 3 clauses - you would need to use a combined conditional with an AND to include ONLY Q4 but not include the current Q4 or the Previous Q4   -  

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: calculated field on Color marks
            Vivek Br

Hello Jim,

First of all, thank you so much this helped to understand a bit. as i'm new to this can you explain me bit more how this worked.

If possible.

Thank you

• 3. Re: calculated field on Color marks
              Jim Dehner

sure

this is your formula

IF DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=0

THEN 'Current'

ELSEIF  DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=1

THEN 'Previous'

ELSEIF DATEDIFF('quarter',[Order Date],[Month and Year])=4

THEN 'Previous Year'

ELSE 'Older'

END

Then month year is your parameter which sets the Max date to be used in the first 3 clauses of the If then statement

the first clause just looks at the current year ( current being the year of the date in the parameter ) and the quarter in the parameter and calls the Current

the second clause says to look bach 1 quarter and call the data in that quarter Previous

the third clause says look back 4 quarters and take the data in that quarter and call it previous year

now any data that did not fall into the first 3 clauses will be called Older

if you wanted to just work with the single quarter in the parameter you could use

if datepart('quarter',[order date] ) = datepart('quarter',[month and year])   AND

datepart('year',[order date] ) = datepart('year',[month and year])  then "Current"

elseif

if datepart('quarter',[order date] ) = datepart('quarter',[month and year])   AND

datepart('year',[order date] ) = datepart('year',  dateadd('year'-1, [month and year]))  then "Previous Year"

elseif

datepart('year',[order date] ) < datepart('year',  dateadd('year'-1, [month and year]))  then "Older"

elseif

if datepart('quarter',[order date] ) = datepart('quarter',dateadd('quarter',-1,     [month and year])  ) then "Previous Quarter"

end

Thi will Returns Nulls for any quarters other than the one in the parameter date

you will have to check the syntax - I was not able to test the fromula

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: calculated field on Color marks
                Vivek Br

Thanks a lot Jim,

Now understood how parameter and my calculated field worked in and why i was not getting Previous Year when my parameter was 2013. Basic calculation i was aware.

Thank you once again.