7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2019 11:42 AM by Mark Wu

Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2

sateesh.polisetty

Hello Everyone,

One of our clients, is still using Tableau Server version 9.2 . We recommended a Server Upgrade to enhance the performance & UI of the existing dashboards. Our idea is to upgrade to a recent version, may be upgrade to 2018.1 from 9.2 .   Is it fine to upgrade directly from 9.2 to 2018.1 or Can we just try upgrading it to 10.5 and then upgrade it to 2019 may be after few months.

What would be the best upgrade approach? Could you please comeup with your recommendations. And anyone has a similar experience earlier and Did you come across any issues while upgrading ?

Please provide your valuable comments.

Thanks,
      Sateesh

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
          Johan de Groot

Hi,

Stepping up from 9.2 should be ok, but the upgrade from a non-TSM to TSM enabled Tableau Server installation can cause quite some problems...

One of the options - if you got a machine / VM spare - is installing Tableau Server on a new machine, and restoring the backup from the old server onto this machine, and see if this works.

Smaller steps like you describe (9.2 > 2018.1 and later on 2018.1 > 2019.2) doesn't seem very useful to me.

Kind regards,

Johan de Groot

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
            sateesh.polisetty

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your response. We are looking for the upgrade steps from 9.2 to 10.x or 2018.1 .  So, this would be a non tsm to non tsm upgrade.

But Tableau official page Upgrade Tableau Server Overview - Tableau  only provides steps to upgrade either a non tsm to tsm server. or tsm to tsm .

But there are no detailed steps for non tsm to non tsm. i.e. our case 9.2 to 10.x or 9.2 to 2018.1 .

It would be a great help if you can share with us any documentation related to non tsm to non tsm upgrade.

Thanks,
            Sateesh

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
              Johan De Groot

Hi,

For a non-TSM to non-TSM upgrade it's fairly uncomplicated: backup (as always), and run the installer.

Tableau is very capable to upgrade its internals several version-steps in one go.

Kind regards,

Johan de Groot

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
                sateesh.polisetty

Hi Johan,

But I heard that , in non tsm to non tsm upgrade, we need to uninstall the existing server and install the new server. Is it so?

I believe, we can directly install the new server and upgrade it without uninstalling existing version.

Could you please confirm.

Thanks for your prompt response.

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
                  Johan De Groot

Hi,

I am not sure if the Tableau installer automatically uninstalled the old version, or if you need to uinstall it yourself.

But uninstalling keeps all datafiles (workbooks, datasources etc), so this task doesn't take long.

Kind regards,

Johan de Groot

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
                    Mark McGhee

Hi Sateesh,

When upgrading in pre-TSM days, if there weren't significant changes to the underlying schema in Postgres, then running the installer would actually do the uninstall of the older version behind the scenes and then continue with the upgrade.  But as Johan pointed out, the best bet is to take a manual backup to be on the safe side.  Because then worst case scenario is you do the uninstall of the old version, install new version and then restore that backup.   Ideally if the client has a non-Production environment that's multi-node they'll be able to see if the installer can do the upgrade without uninstalling first.  Again though, even for non-Production environments it never hurts to have a recent backup.

You may already be aware but there are two additional steps that I'd recommend:

(1)  run "tabadmin config -o settings.txt"     This will capture all of the Tableau Server settings into a text file (you could name it something other than what I suggested) in alphabetical order.  After the upgrade you can run the same command and then compare text files.   Some settings might be new but it should highlight any differences if the client had customized settings they applied but had forgotten about.

(2)  I've seen it suggested in the forum before and it's a really good idea, prior to the upgrade, bring up the Configuration application and take a screenshot of the various tabs (ie General, SMTP Setup, Alerts and Subscriptions,etc).

Lastly, version 9.2 has reached end of life:

Support Services | Tableau Software

(scroll to bottom for supported versions)

The client's license key will need to be up-to-date in regards to Maintenance otherwise the upgrade will fail.

• 7. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade from the version 9.2
                      Mark Wu

I think that you should be able to upgrade from V9.2 to 2019.1 or 2019.2 directly although I did not try it out. Read Tableau Server Upgrade Steps from Pre-TSM (2018.1 or older) to TSM (2018.2 or newer)