4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2019 8:39 AM by PURU VENKAT

Average response time in TabJolt

PURU VENKAT

Hi Experts,

I did run a tabJolt test in our environment and found out that Average response time is 28( and 14 seconds)  seconds which I feel is more than the anticipated response time.

Our environment is as follows:

Nodes : 1

Cores :1

RAM : 360 GB

TabJolt Users the test ran for : 50

Duration of the test : 300 seconds

Number of works in the test : 10

Does anyone have insights on why is the response time so high and where is this value coming from ? Is there anyway I can validate that response time in Tableau server so that I can cross verify and prove that the above time is correct ?

Please let me know if you need further info to answer this question and share any ideas on the TabJolt as I couldn't find detail documentation about it apart from what Tableau Provided there.

Thanks,

Puru.

• 1. Re: Average response time in TabJolt
          Ken Flerlage

Is that core count correct? You only have one core? That shouldn't be possible as minimum requirements call for 8. If that 1 is correct, then that's the likely culprit for your performance issues. If it's not the case, then there are lots of different things that can be causing your performance problems. I'd suggest you use the following guides to troubleshoot:

https://interworks.com/blog/rrouse/2018/05/16/the-tableau-performance-optimization-flowchart/

https://interworks.com/blog/bfair/2015/02/23/tableau-performance-checklist/

• 2. Re: Average response time in TabJolt
            PURU VENKAT

Thanks for the reply, Ken.

My mistake , actually the core count is 48 ( you are correct about this)..

We are using simple workbooks only so don't understand whats causing these issues.

I will definitely go through these articles.

Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas ?

Best,

Venkat.

• 3. Re: Average response time in TabJolt
              david tanner

Hi Puru,

It looks like you're saturating your server (or some component) which is causing it to run slow.

looking at your screenshot, in your current tabjolt configuration you can probably do 6 concurrent users and reach the bottleneck, any more users than this will just get slower response times.

Important configuration items are the think time and wait time in the perftestconfig.yaml config file. (in miliseconds)  These can help model what your users will actually do, rather than sending 50 'users' with non stop clicking.

# set think time to create a pause between tests

thinkTimeBetweenTest: 3000

# set think time to create a pause between view and interaction operation for an interact test test

thinkTimeBeforeInteraction: 5000

Look at running longer tests and looking at CPU/ RAM/disk/etc usage to see which one is maxing out (tabmon can be good for this)

Consider learning about and using the 'stepup' style testing, i run these for 8 hours just adding a few users every 30 minutes, to see where the tests per minute stops increasing and the test response time starts increasing (the tipping point).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Average response time in TabJolt
                PURU VENKAT

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I did complete a few runs by adding the think times as follows but the response increased to 47 seconds.

# set think time to create a pause between tests

thinkTimeBetweenTest: 5000

# set think time to create a pause between view and interaction operation for an interact test test

thinkTimeBeforeInteraction: 5000

I checked the "Stats for Load Times" in the Tableau server built-in admin views( from the status tab )  but the values returned by the TabJolt are very much higher than the values from the "Stats for Load Times"

Please suggest me any ideas.

Thanks,

Puru.