3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 4:57 AM by Michael Gillespie

How to connect an excel spreadsheet on sharepoint to Tableau?

Anna Morales

Hi all.

I am in the process of connecting an excel spreadsheet that lives on sharepoint to Tableau. However, when I go to the sharepoint site, I want to be able to make an entry on the excel spreadsheet and have that automatically update to Tableau. So essentially everytime an entry is made on the excel spreadsheet on sharepoint, it displays the most updated version on Tableau. I have tried googling this and haven't been successful. I have already requested permission for the tableau server to have access to sharepoint. What I have done successfully is I am able to connect them at first, then when I go to sharepoint and add an entry, and refresh the extract on Tableau, it gives me errors. I am getting two errors so far.

#1. The connection to the data source might have been lost. Error: unable to connect to this Tableau server data source. Unable to connect to file ________ check that the file exists and that you have sufficient access privileges for it.

Dataservicefailure.

#2. Spreadsheet is out of date.

Datasource: embedded

failure: failed 1 time: sign in failed.

Refreshed failed: april 12

last refreshed: april 12

Resoltuoin: check the data connection page

Thanks for any feedback.

• 1. Re: How to connect an excel spreadsheet on sharepoint to Tableau?
          Michael Gillespie

Tableau cannot connect to an Excel spreadsheet in that way.  While you may be able to get the initial connection to work, there is no built-in capability to refresh the data.  Tableau only natively supports connections to Sharepoint Lists.

There may be 3rd party tools that allow for this, however.  I do not personally have experience with it, but CData has an option that might help you: Visualize SharePoint Data in Tableau

• 2. Re: How to connect an excel spreadsheet on sharepoint to Tableau?
            Anna Morales

Thanks Michael, I figured just wanted to make sure.

Do you know if you can connect an SQL table query to tableau and have it update automatically tableau if an entry is made in SQL?

I just need something that when an entry is made, it updates automatically on tableau.

• 3. Re: How to connect an excel spreadsheet on sharepoint to Tableau?
              Michael Gillespie

Anna, let's get our terminology right first.

Do you mean "Can Tableau connect to a relational database using SQL"?  Yes it can.  Or do you mean "Microsoft SQL Server"?  Also yes.

As for "updates automatically": Tableau is not a database monitoring tool, so it doesn't react instantly to a change in the underlying database.  There are a couple of ways to keep up with changes to the data in near-real-time, though.

1) A live connection to the database.  Your users will have to refresh the viz or dashboard to see the change, though.  You can't schedule a viz refresh to do that automatically when a change happens to the underlying data.

2) An extract connection to the database with a scheduled refresh every 5 minutes or so.  Depending on what kind of change happens (adding a new row vs. changing an existing row) this might or might not work as you anticipate.  And your users will still have to refresh the viz or dashboard to see the change.

Does that help?