1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 8:53 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Unable to connect to DSN for ODBC in Tableau Server

Pratheek Rao Thangeda

Hi,

I am connecting to an iSeries DB2 server (AS/400) by creating a DSN after installation of the IBM iAccess ODBC driver on the desktop. I have around 5 custom SQL queries as data sources, as I have the data in multiple tables. Though I faced some issues, I am able to access the server and fetch data on Tableau Desktop under a Live connection.

I installed the same driver and created the same DSN on Tableau server, so that publishing the dashboard to Tableau server will work. But it isn't working as expected. The following error message is being displayed:

"Generic ODBC requires additional configuration. The driver and DSN (data source name) must be installed and configured to match the connection.

Unable to connect using the DSN named "Trial_WSCMS". Check that the DSN exists and is a valid connection."

Is there something that I am missing out?

I then tried publishing a single table data source on the server and I then published a dashboard on server with the published data source as the data source. I am able to see the dashboard working both on the Server and the desktop. I then published a custom SQL data source to the server and tried fetching data, but it didn't work. Note: I tried testing the connection of the published data sources using the edit connection functionality from the Data Sources tab, in all the cases Tableau failed to connect with the server

I am using Tableau Desktop 10.5.2.

Thanks in advance,

Pratheek