3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2019 9:39 AM by Scott Steesy

Extract API 2.0 and Tableau SDK ported to C#

Scott Steesy

Before Tableau 8.0 was released I worked with the beta of the Tableau SDK, ported it to Microsoft Dot.Net language C#, and made it available on the Tableau Community. Over the years I updated my work as the SDK was expanded, and updated that original community posting. In January 2018 I ported the "new" Extract API 2.0 to C# for creating Hyper files, and a couple months later I figured out how to use BOTH in the same application. I again updated that original community post. I'm personally disappointed they didn't update the SDK to produce and publish Hyper files instead of creating just the "Extract API 2.0" but have to live with it.

Unfortunately sometime in the last 10 months Tableau saw fit to discard that entire section of the community. I guess they felt topics started with Tableau 8.0 no longer applied. I think they should have kept "active" topics. It is unfortunate because the entire "history" of my work is now gone.

With the release of Tableau 10.5 they have also stopped reading TDE files (at least in Server and Online) so have also seen fit to abandon the SDK, which would produce or publish TDE files. So moving forward I'll only be using my C# port of the Extract API 2.0 to produce Hyper files and calling TabCmd.exe in order to publish them. I could program against the REST API, but that is far more complicated for the little I need to do.

So for everyone out there using C# I am not going to re-post my C# port of the Tableau SDK and Extract API 2.0 from January 31, 2018 since I don't feel like putting in the effort to remove the SDK portion ... heck someone may be still using Tableau 10.4 or earlier and want the SDK.  In I'm feeling industrious I might even try to find all the community postings still alive that cross linked to my original post and drop an cross link to this one.

• 1. Re: Extract API 2.0 and Tableau SDK ported to C#
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Scott,

Patrick here, I work at Tableau and maintain the Tableau Community Forums as a Community Manager. First, sorry for the delayed reply.

Second, I would be happy to investigate any missing content from the forums, we have a fairly strict policy on deleting content and there is a possibility this content has merely been moved into our archive. I would be more than happy to resurrect or at least provide you access to if this is the case. Is there a link to the OP handy? maybe an old bookmark or blog post? I might be able to use some admin wizardy to investigate where it has gone.

Third, thank you for sharing this with the Community! The Tableau Hyper API is a great place for this content.

I look forward to getting a link or title of the OP so I can hunt it down for you.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Extract API 2.0 and Tableau SDK ported to C#
            Scott Steesy

Hmmm, I didn't receive an email when to posted this and was only back because someone else asked a question regarding licensing.

It was originally posted in the Tableau 8 Beta section back when the API was brand new. There were a bunch of reply posts on it, and posts in other areas that linked to it. I think I hunted those all down and posted a link to my new post, so you might find one of those dead links if you search a bit, as I discarded my shortcut to it when I found it no longer worked.

• 3. Re: Extract API 2.0 and Tableau SDK ported to C#
              Scott Steesy

I was asked what license I released this under ... oops, I forgot to include it when I had to repost, darn it.

Anyway, I'd used the MIT license. So feel free to you it as you will, just include a text file in your source code with:

Copyright (c) 2018 Rapid Insight Inc.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy

of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal

in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights

to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell

copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is

furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all

copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,

OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE

SOFTWARE.

1 of 1 people found this helpful