5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2019 9:28 AM by Johnny Haddock

Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI

Landon Akins

Hello,

I am hoping someone on the forum can provide feedback regarding a CLI refresh error.  The goal of my effort is to use the Tableau Prep CLI tool to automatically refresh a .hyper extract hosted on a Tableau Server.

Scenario details:

Tableau Prep v 2019.1.1

Tableau Server 10.5.4 (10500.18.0510.1801) 64-bit Windows

Database: Oracle

When I attempt to run my flow via the Tableau Prep UI, the overall runtime is approximately 1h 20m.  This operation completes successfully and I am able to see my extract in the Tableau Server.  When I attempt to refresh the extract using the same flow, but with the CLI, I receive the following error via the CLI:

Could not resolve type id 'NodeExecutionError' as a subtype of [simple type, class com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Error]: known type ids = [expression, general, node] (for POJO property 'errors')

at [Source: (BufferedReader); line: 24, column: 27] (through reference chain: com.tableau.loom.rest.api.FlowState["status"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Status["outputRowCounts"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts["outputRowCounts"]->java.util.LinkedHashMap["51278cb3-78d1-45e9-be29-ec597895b137"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts$OutputRowCount["errors"]->java.util.ArrayList[0]) reading GET https://localhost:57964/api/flowOperations/20512c62-af3c-4fce-b030-75c9a854b413

This error does not occur immediately.  It happens at approximately the 1h 20m mark, or when I would expect the overall flow to be completing.  For the previous 1h and 19m, the CLI feedback is "Flow Execution Status:  Running".

• 1. Re: Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Landon,

Is this behavior still occurring when running the flow from the Command Line interface? Please also share a snippet of the command line commands being performed.

I would double check the commands that are being used are correct: Save and Share Tableau Prep Work - Tableau

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI
            James Thompson

I have the same error.

Could not resolve type id 'NodeExecutionError' as a subtype of [simple type, class com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Error]: known type ids = [expression, general, node] (for POJO property 'errors')

at [Source: (BufferedReader); line: 24, column: 27] (through reference chain: com.tableau.loom.rest.api.FlowState["status"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Status["outputRowCounts"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts["outputRowCounts"]->java.util.LinkedHashMap["0c4b976a-475b-4d18-9035-568534485154"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts$OutputRowCount["errors"]->java.util.ArrayList[0]) reading GET https://localhost:54081/api/flowOperations/416ac2c2-6e94-4950-9a90-ac244a98c37e

I have other flows that run in the CLI that work perfectly.

Running Prep 2019.1.4

Database: Aurora

• 3. Re: Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI
              James Thompson

I actually found the problem with my flow. It was related to using a Group and Replace to replace null with 0 in a number column. I replaced the Group and Replace with a calculated field. After the change, the flow now works in the UI and in the CLI.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI
                Johnny Haddock

What lead you to find that error? I have a flow that runs just fine in the GUI, but as I am starting to try to automate that I get a very similar error, and I am at a loss as to how to fix it.. Here is my obfuscated CLI session:

C:\Users\UserName>"C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Prep Builder 2019.1\scripts\tableau-prep-cli" -c "C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\New folder\creds.json" -t "C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\TableauVisulizations\Data Sources\ProjectName\ProjectName.tfl"

JAVA_HOME is set to : C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Prep Builder 2019.1\scripts\..\Plugins\jre temporarily

Preparing to run the flow : C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\TableauVisulizations\Data Sources\ProjectName\ProjectName.tfl

Loading the flow.

Loaded the flow.

Updated the connections with supplied credentials.

Established input connections with remote data sources.

Signed in successfully as RemoteUser to site Tableau-Site(Tableau-Site)

Checking the flow document for errors.

Flow Document has no errors.

Preparing to execute the flow.

Flow Execution Status: Running

Could not resolve type id 'PublishingNodeError' as a subtype of [simple type, class com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Error]: known type ids = [expression, general, node] (for POJO property 'errors')

at [Source: (BufferedReader); line: 24, column: 27] (through reference chain: com.tableau.loom.rest.api.FlowState["status"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.Status["outputRowCounts"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts["outputRowCounts"]->java.util.LinkedHashMap["010b2588-3123-406b-ada1-35ed27506e99"]->com.tableau.loom.rest.api.OutputRowCounts$OutputRowCount["errors"]->java.util.ArrayList[0]) reading GET https://localhost:49264/api/flowOperations/b6801713-a420-4525-a6e2-487524b22867

C:\Users\UserName>"C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Prep Builder 2019.1\scripts\tableau-prep-cli" -c "C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\New folder\creds.json" -t "C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\TableauVisulizations\Data Sources\ProjectName\ProjectName.tfl"

• 5. Re: Flow runs then errors using CLI but not Tableau Prep UI
                  Johnny Haddock

I found the answer to my issue, but I am still interesting in how the errors can lead me to know where to troubleshoot.

In my issue I was using a different user in my creds.json file (I didn't want to store my password in plain text so I had a service account for publishing). Once I ensured the user in the creds file had the correct permissions on the server, things worked like a charm.