Tableau server upgrade from 2018.1 or older (Pre-TSM) to 2018.2 or newer (TSM) needs very different process and is very tricky. To help those who have not upgraded to TSM yet, we put together Server Admin TUG webinar by 3 experienced server admins (Jeff Strauss, Toby Erkson and Mark Wu).
Click here for video recording of Tableau Server Admin Webinar 3/20/19 - upgrading from Pre-TSM to TSM
- Part 1: TSM server admin must know: Architecture change, firewall rule setup, coordination service ensemble, TSM interface / CLI by Jeff Strauss- Tableau ambassador and server admin. Click here for slides.
- Part 2: Upgrade process/step from Pre-TSM to TSM by Toby Erkson - Tableau ambassador and server admin. Click here for slides.
- Part 3: TSM server features: How to do hot topology change, recommended Extension settings, Multiple table extract - game change for row level security using username(). Click here for slides.
1. Pre-upgrade Test
2. Pre-upgrade Test again with production-like data (if possible)
- tip: ensure ‘TSM Maintenance Restore’ works.
3. Document all customizations/configurations and turn into a script (if you can)
- tip1: Scripts ensure not missing anything
- tip2: Modify from tabadmin commands to TSM commands
4. Expect upgrade issues and pre-define go-back point as plan B
- tip1: Set expectation with stake holders in advance
- tip2: Know how to contact Tableau Support during upgrade weekend
1. Get cold backup with tabadminbackup
- tip1: Disable all schedules one hr prior tabadmin stop to void potential unclean running backgrounder job cancellation that may cause Restore problems
- tip2: Tabadminstop (wait all backgrounder jobs completed), tadadminbackup
2. Uninstall pre-TSM Tableau (Part A in Bryn Fernandez’s post)
- tip1: You can cancel the automatic backup from 2018.1 unstallfrom OS level
- tip2: Delete files/folders, delete env variables, restart server
3. “Create new Tableau Server Installation” on initial node before touch other nodes (Part B & C in Bryn Fernandez’s post)
- tip1: Go back to step 2 if “Create new Tableau Server Installation” does not show
- tip2: Start TSM from https://<host-name>:8850, activate license, register, initialize
4. Run your customization/configuration scripts
- tip: Follow Tableau Online help. TSM will NOT restore tabadmin’s configurations
6. Install other nodes per Tableau Online help