To be clear - all you did was take the file that was last saved on January 31st, open it, did nothing else, and then saved it? Why did you resave it if you didn't do anything else to the file? If you did do something, what was it? Extracts don't just increase on their own so either the data in your datasource increased dramatically, or something was added to the file.
I was going to ask did you upgrade Tableau Desktop version and if so can you go down a version below the current one to test the above scenario.
To be fair I have 10.5.12 version (Jan 2019 built - most recent as of this response) and saved a packaged workbook which is 79kb
I also happened to have the latest 2019.1 version (Feb 2019) and opened the same workbook and Exported as packaged workbook and size remains the same 79kb
Try uninstalling / reinstalling your current version and see if the behavior continues. If so you should open a Case with Tableau immediately - I would say call your Sales Rep and have him/her escalate the case as well.
Hope this helps.
Yes, that's what I have done. I did it because I was investigating the root cause of the issue. I tried a lot of things and them realized that just by opening it and saving they were already gaining size.
Ankit, yes I did that too. I thought it could be a bug solved but the version 2019.1 still with the same problem.
I don't know if this could be a problem but I have a tableau desktop license that will expire in less than 30 days... don't know if it's a kind of push to buy a new license.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Guys, I've kept looking on the web for a response and I've found a topic mentioning that custom geocoding could be the problem.
In fact, I had put some custom geocoding on another file in the beginning of this month so I looked in one the files that had increased and discovered that the custom geocoding was embedded in it too. I thought it was applied only on the original file.
After removing the custom geocoding and saving the file, it's size shrank to the values I had before.
So, custom geocoding was the root cause and should be always considered because it has a huge size trade off when applied.