4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 8:00 AM by Danilo Cardoso

TWBX size increased 5x without any change or refresh

Danilo Cardoso

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a strange issue with my tableau files since the start of this month (february 2019). My TWBXs have increased their size 5x even without refreshing or changing any data inside them.

To be more clear: I opened a file that was last saved on 31th january with 39MB size and just saved it without any changing or data refreshing. It's size went to 180MB.

I searched online and couldn't find any topic related. I don't know if this is an unknown bug or just a new packing format that comes with the new versions of tableau.

Can anyone help? These sizes are impacting on the distribution of the files inside my organization.

thanks

• 1. Re: TWBX size increased 5x without any change or refresh
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Danilo,

To be clear - all you did was take the file that was last saved on January 31st, open it, did nothing else, and then saved it?  Why did you resave it if you didn't do anything else to the file?  If you did do something, what was it?  Extracts don't just increase on their own so either the data in your datasource increased dramatically, or something was added to the file.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: TWBX size increased 5x without any change or refresh
            Ankit Patel

Hi Danilo,

I was going to ask did you upgrade Tableau Desktop version and if so can you go down a version below the current one to test the above scenario.

To be fair I have 10.5.12 version (Jan 2019 built - most recent as of this response) and saved a packaged workbook which is 79kb

I also happened to have the latest 2019.1 version (Feb 2019) and opened the same workbook and Exported as packaged workbook and size remains the same 79kb

see below:

Try uninstalling / reinstalling your current version and see if the behavior continues. If so you should open a Case with Tableau immediately - I would say call your Sales Rep and have him/her escalate the case as well.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ankit Patel 

• 3. Re: TWBX size increased 5x without any change or refresh
              Danilo Cardoso

Hi Paul.

Yes, that's what I have done. I did it because I was investigating the root cause of the issue. I tried a lot of things and them realized that just by opening it and saving they were already gaining size.

Ankit, yes I did that too. I thought it could be a bug solved but the version 2019.1 still with the same problem.

I don't know if this could be a problem but I have a tableau desktop license that will expire in less than 30 days... don't know if it's a kind of push to buy a new license.

• 4. Re: TWBX size increased 5x without any change or refresh
                Danilo Cardoso

Guys, I've kept looking on the web for a response and I've found a topic mentioning that custom geocoding could be the problem.

In fact, I had put some custom geocoding on another file in the beginning of this month so I looked in one the files that had increased and discovered that the custom geocoding was embedded in it too. I thought it was applied only on the original file.

After removing the custom geocoding and saving the file, it's size shrank to the values I had before.

So, custom geocoding was the root cause and should be always considered because it has a huge size trade off when applied.

1 of 1 people found this helpful