2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2019 10:23 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Microsoft SQL Server Connectivity issue

Vinay R

Hi,

I'm getting the following error while connecting to Microsoft SQL Server 2014.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2].

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]Login timeout expired

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

Unable to connect to the server "IP Address". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Do i need to install Drivers again?

I'm on Tableau Desktop 2018.1

Post Tableau 9.3 this SQL Driver is installed by default.

Please suggest.

I'm the developer and Admin for this.

Patrick Byrne Can anyone assist me on this?

• 1. Re: Microsoft SQL Server Connectivity issue
          Ken Flerlage

This doesn't appear to be a Tableau issue. This actually seems to be an issue connecting to the SQL Server. In my experience, this is usually due to some sort of firewall that is blocking connectivity. My suggestion would be to try to connect to the SQL Server via SQL Server Management Studio to see if that works. Then come back and let us know if you were able to connect that way. That will help us to determine where to go from here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Microsoft SQL Server Connectivity issue
            patrick.byrne.0

I agree with Ken. I believe this is not an issue with Tableau but the SQL Server itself. Were you able to test the connection as Ken mentioned?

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software