2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2019 4:29 PM by Yeok Song Ng

How to become a Tableau Jedi? What is the definition anyway?

Yeok Song Ng

Occasionally, I saw people address themselves as Tableau Jedi.

Who bestow such title to them? How to become one? Is there a definition of a Tableau Jedi in the first place?

• 1. Re: How to become a Tableau Jedi? What is the definition anyway?
          Santiago Sanchez

Hi Yeok,

Wow, this is a really good -almost philosophical- question! First off, there's no official 'Tableau Jedi' title that someone bestows. However, during Tableau Conference, you can choose to attend Jedi-level sessions, which are roughly defined as: "Get the inside scoop on how Tableau works—under the hood. Learn how to tackle the toughest analytical tasks and fine-tune your enterprise server deployment."

To me, it's the 'understanding how Tableau works - under the hood' what makes the difference. That knowledge allows you to extend native capabilities and hack your way through most challenges in Tableau Desktop or get to the most efficient solution in Tableau Desktop/Server.

Because Tableau is in continuous innovation, that understanding also changes over time. For example, take a look at this Jedi session from 2014 (Tips and Tricks from a Tableau Jedi - YouTube) and compare it with this one from 2017 (Use the Force for good: Becoming a Tableau Jedi - YouTube). Several tips and tricks apply between them, but some of the hacks from 2014 are probably not needed in 2017 as they've been added as native capabilities in the product.

Would love to hear other thoughts from other members of the community! Maybe even some Jedis on the crowd!

Santiago

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to become a Tableau Jedi? What is the definition anyway?
            Yeok Song Ng

Thank you Santiago.

I know there was some requirements to be zen master but I did some googling and didn't get any convincing answer about Jedi.

Thanks for letting me know.