4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2019 3:08 AM by Jim Dehner

Show calculated field results for series of different parameter values

David Avraamides

I have a calculated field based on a date parameter. I would like to show the calculation for a series of dates to generate a forecast of income estimates. While I can vary the parameter, I can only see the calculated field for one specific date. I thought of creating multiple sheets and changing the parameter in each one, but parameters are global.

Does anyone have suggestions I could try?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Show calculated field results for series of different parameter values
          arvindgarg

Little confuse - If you are ready to change paramenter seperately in each sheet. why dont you create seperate paremeter for each sheet?

• 2. Re: Show calculated field results for series of different parameter values
            Jim Dehner

Hi David

A couple of points - you are correct that parameters are global but the way you use them is not - parameters are just a way to hold a value that you use in filters or calculations -

you can use the parameter in one way ( a calculation for example) on one sheet and use it in a completely different way on another -  you could bring the sheets together on the same dashboard and change the parameter value and each sheet on the d/b will change independently

If you can be more specific we can be more helpful

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Show calculated field results for series of different parameter values
              David Avraamides

Sorry for the confusion in my original question. To elaborate, I have a dataset of investment positions with quantities and coupon rates. I have a calculated field that will project the coupon income out to a future EndDate parameter. The calculation (simplified) is:

Income = [Quantity] * [Coupon Rate] * DATEDIFF('day', TODAY(), [EndDate]) / 365

so for a specific value of EndDate I can find the projected income of the portfolio.

I'd like to show a table or chart plotting income across a series of future values for EndDate. I suppose I could create multiple instances of the parameter (EndDate1, EndDate2, ...) and multiple versions of the calculated field (Income1, Income2, ...), each using the corresponding EndDate instance. But that seemed a little kludgy.

• 4. Re: Show calculated field results for series of different parameter values
                Jim Dehner

That is different - there are a couple of options - one is multiple parameters and worksheets and on and on ...

the other is to use sets and have an set of end dates to be part of the IN set - if you are using 2018.3 you can use set actions to change the set dynamically - and possible use date ribbon in the viz to select the dates

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.