3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 1:42 PM by Joe Oppelt

Parameter passed thru URL and then using Filter

Andres Scharifker

Hello!

I am passing a filter parameter through the URL. The workbook has a live connection to a published extract on Tableau server.

BUT

When the user uses the filter to select an additional value, the dashboard loads again, with the same URL and so the data in the dashboard remains the same.

The dashboard runs...

And returns the exact same data (and the same URL)

How can I avoid this so that users have freedom to select more values?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Parameter passed thru URL and then using Filter
          Joe Oppelt

Of course it returns the same.

You hard-coded "BROWARD" in there.

Hack up an example in Superstore.  It's far easier to show than to describe details for this.

You'll need to grab the [County] that the user selected -- and even more, if your filter is a multi-select filter, you'll need to build a string of all the values selected -- and then you need to insert the user's selection(s) into the URL string where you currently have "BROWARD".

• 2. Re: Parameter passed thru URL and then using Filter
            Andres Scharifker

Hi, I did not hard code it into the URL

This dashboard is originated when someone in another dashboard, where Broward is selected in the Single-value filter, clicks on a link to go to this new dashboard. That link passes on the parameter of "Broward" to the URL.

If the dashboard was originated when another value was selected, for example "Orange County", the URL would not say Broward, it would say Orange County

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Parameter passed thru URL and then using Filter
              Joe Oppelt

I'm sorry but I keep rereading your reply and your original post and I cannot figure out what-starts-where and who-does-what and when things happen.  Or even where the URL is getting generated.  For that matter, is TopAccountName a parameter?  Or a data field?  (Or a calc field?)  People often say "parameter" in questions when they actually mean data field.

Can you hack up something equivalent in Superstore if you can't upload your actual workbook?

You can simplify and anonymize your data by following the steps in the video linked here:

Video demonstrates how to anonymize your workbook/data