6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 6:54 PM by Andy Wild

Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online

ATHANASIOS BALOMENOS

Hi everyone,

I have created an extract in Tableau Desktop, that takes data from two different sources, from a connection to mysql server and from a "static" geospatial file (saved locally). I upload the workbook to tableau online and everything seems to be perfect. However, the problems occurs when it comes to refreshing the extract. The extract is not refreshed, even though there is no error alert returned by tableau online when I try to refresh it manually. The connection to mysql server is functional, because I tested it when I uploaded the workbook. I assume there is a problem with a geospatial file. However, the geospatial file is included as an external file when I upload the workbook and there is no need to be updated. What do you think? Is there a workaround on this?

Best regards

• 1. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
          Michael Gillespie

Are you using Tableau Bridge to connect to MySQL?  I assume it's in your data center or another local network location somewhere.  You can't connect directly to local resources from Tableau Online.

• 2. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
            ATHANASIOS BALOMENOS

In the first place, I uploaded the workbook with embedded data sources. There was no need for tableau bridge because there was a connection to the MySQL server where the database lies and a connection to a local geospatial file locally (that was included when publishing workbook). However, I also used tableau bridge (from my laptop for testing) as you suggest, and the extract refresh failed again. When I isolate the main data source from the other, i.e. I remove the geospatial file, and there is no cross-join between them, both approaches work fine. Thus, I can refresh the extract either form tableau online directly, or tableau bridge from my laptop. Specifically, Tableau Bridge returns this error

status code = 1003, Failed to refresh data source: sales_127_0_0_1 due to the following error: Invalid database name value

The strange thing is that when I test the connection, it returns that the database credentials are valid. Another strange thing is that when I create a distinct extract for each data source, both are refreshed successfully by Tableau Bridge

• 3. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
              ATHANASIOS BALOMENOS

Hi everyone,

We manage to solve the problem (through Tableau bridge) by reverting the data sources position in the cross join query and obviously converting the left join to right join. maybe there is some kind of bug in tableau bridge concerning data sources position in query.

Best regards,

Thanos

• 4. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
                Pradip Kumar

Hello Everyone,

I am also having the same problem.

I have created an extract which the join of our redshift data source and a spatial file (available in my local machine) with some geojson information. And I have published the extract on Tableau Online. Now the extract refresh don't work. I don't get any error email as well.

I tried uploading the file in cloud i.e. Google Drive, One Drive, but Tableau don't read .json file uploaded in cloud.

I can't use Tableau Bridge because it is not available for Mac.

So any solution is welcome

Thanks,

Pradip

• 5. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
                  Andy Wild

I have the exact same problem but with an Athena connection (rather than Redshift).

Any solution would be desperately welcomed.

• 6. Re: Refresh Extract of multiple connection source containing a static geospatial file in Tableau Online
                    Andy Wild

I managed to find a solution that updates the Athena (database) source while maintaining a geojson file.

If you give the joined columns the same names, you can use Tableau's Blend feature to manage the joins.

Here are the steps I took:

-Create individual workbooks in the Tableau desktop application containing each data source

-Click on the Server dropdown (on the menu bar) and click Publish data source

Do this in separate workbooks for both your database connection and geojson file

-Go to your Tableau Online account and create a new workbook

-Click on the new data source option, navigate to the "on this site" tab and find your data source

-Click again on the new data source option, navigate to the "on this site" tab and find your second data source

You should now have two connections visible in your data tab in the top left corner of the screen

-Make sure the column name that you want to join on is the same in both data sources

-Go to your geojson data source and drag the geometry onto the sheet; you should see a map with your geospatial data

-Go back to the database data source (top left corner of the screen), there should now be a broken chain icon next to the joining column

-Click this icon to establish the link between the two data sources

Now navigate back to your main landing page in Tableau Online and find your project folder

-Click on the database connection data source and navigate to the "Extract Refreshes" tab

-Schedule your refresh in here

When the next refresh happens, the database connection data should refresh and the geojson file will remain.

It's slightly painful in that you may have to refactor your dashboard, but so far it seems to work without a big performance hit.

Thanks,

Andy