8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 9:19 AM by Jim Dehner

Base year user select

Christoph Klavehn

Dear Community,

I am using a simple table calculation "difference from" to show the changes from the base year (2015) for each country in the attached workbook. Now I would like to give the user the option to choose a different base year, e.g. 2017, so that the caclulation uses the selected year as its basis. Is this possible with a parameter / calculated field combo?
      Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Base year user select
          Ken Flerlage

One option would be to do the following:

1) Change the table calc to compute as follows:

2) Add a filter on year and set it up as an "At Least" filter.

Then show that filter. The users will then be able to select their starting year and the table calculation should automatically adjust based on the first year in the view.

See attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Base year user select
            Jim Dehner

Good morning

see the attached approach

I looked at you book - you "year" is loaded a a number - not a date

I converted it to a real date - dates can be used in trend plots, date calculations and have are treated a little different in table calculations -

then I used the date as a continuous Year in the plot as shown below

now the filter will control the start date (could also use a parameter and a filter

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Base year user select
              Christoph Klavehn

Ken, Jim,

thanks much for your quick help!
              One more question: How can I have the user manipulate the "relative to" part in the table calculation? Using year as filter disables the years (as it should) but I would like to keep the whole timeline in view (2015, 16, 17, 18 - rather than toggling the start date of the view) and only change the reference year. See below, where the reference year is set on 2017.

• 4. Re: Base year user select
                Jim Dehner

Sorry I don't think that Ken or I got that from the post - but see the attached based on my original book where I converted you rfield to a real date

add a parameter

add a calculation to determine the offset

and the formula

set like this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Base year user select
                  Christoph Klavehn

Jim, many thanks and that's exactly as I wanted it to be. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

Very best, Chris

• 6. Re: Base year user select
                    Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

Jim

• 7. Re: Base year user select
                      Christoph Klavehn

Jim, as a follow-up: is there a way to calculate the difference in [value] between 2018 and selected base year? I'd like to use this calculation as an extra info shown in the marks or tooltip

• 8. Re: Base year user select
                        Jim Dehner

this is the year difference for the offset

(you could also use  year( {fixed:max(date)})   in place of 2018

then the difference is

drop it on the tooltip an you get this

Jim