5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2019 5:16 AM by Jim Dehner

Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.

Dimitrios Kouklakis

Good evening,

I am facing some difficulties the whole day, trying to fix an issue in order to proceed on my project. This is issue is that, my variables appear inside the section "Series Name" and i cannot extract them, in order to work with each one of them independently. Moreover, the data in general are not loaded and appeared in such a way, as any tutorial i have seen does.

I would like some guidance in order to hand this project on time.

I am attaching two screenshots.

Thank you for your time guys!

• 1. Re: Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.
          Jim Dehner

Hi

I feel the frustration - the first screen shot - you pivoted the data and the field names was changed to series name and the values are in pivot values

that should work

I am confused on the second screen shot  It looks like you converted the  the series names to a measure

can you share the workbook or at least images of the "pre pivot"  data on the data source tab and the "Post Pivot" 

Jim

• 2. Re: Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.
            Jim Dehner

I took a closer look at the series names - they look like se[arate measures - it that is the case then you would not pivot the data - it was already in the dcorrect form

It would be easier to see if you would post the twbx workbook

JIm

• 3. Re: Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.
              Dimitrios Kouklakis

Thank you for your quick response!
              This image might help.Workbook Tableau.png

• 4. Re: Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.
                Jim Dehner

Good morning

This took a little time

essentially you need to "un-pivot" the data to separate out the series codes and associated measures - then pivot the "dates"

the data structure is almost backwards from what it needs to be - the series values need to be separate measures

I mad a simple example (raw data in excel attached) and then used PREP to restructure -also attached

NOTE  If possible restructure the data outside of Tableau - it you can't to that see below

see below data structure goal

it will get you a workbook like this

this is this input I used

In Prep I restructured the data (AGAIN - if you can do this outside Tableau - it would be easier)

step one  - make a copy of the data for each series code

then union the copies together

then pivot the individual "Date/value' columns into a single column

then separate out the individual measure with a calculation similar to below - for each measure - where table name is associated with the copy of the raw data

if [Table Names] ='test restructure.xlsx/Sheet1'

and [series code]='a1' then [Pivot1 Values] else 0 end

then the data is restructured and ready for use in tableau - you can delete table name column and any other unused data

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Issue in Parameters and how to insert data properly.
                  Jim Dehner

Were you able to make progress on this issue

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.