7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2019 6:28 PM by Reg Chand

Tableau Aggregation when using IF's with Left and grandtotal

Reg Chand

Hi All,

I've been struggling to get the aggregation to work correctly. Basically I have a data set which is driven off by the financial period e.g. 201901 is April 2018. I have data from beginning of time and need to aggregate or have a running total.

lets say I have amount for each of the period (Amount is un-grouped and is by chart of account). First thing I did is in SQL wrote a query to get current year, then last year.

In Tableau first formular is;

IF LEFT(STR([Period]),4) <> STR([lastFinYear])

AND LEFT(STR([Period]),4) <> STR([ThisFinYear]) THEN [Amount] END (this totals everything that does not match year 2018 and 2019 (current and last financial year)

Next Formular

IF LEFT(STR([Period]),4) = STR([lastFinYear])

AND LEFT(STR([Period]),4) <> STR([ThisFinYear]) THEN [Amount] END (This totals last year data only)

Next Formuar

IF LEFT(STR([Period]),4) = STR([lastFinYear]) and

RIGHT(STR([Period]),2) = '01' then [Amount] END (this looks at April 2017 Or (last year april) month only where period  = 201801 so if it matches last fy year (2018) and period 01 then April

Idea is I total all three above and use parameter to select year/month This works on grandtotal level however not all values are showing on table.

See attached packaged workbook.