5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 8:18 AM by Zach Leber

extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2

rao marapatla

Hi All,

before posting my question - do we need to setup tns entries in tableau server to connect our db  tables to refresh /schedule a extract ?

here is issue - I have a dashboard which has custom sql (I also tried with direct table and extract ) then published as live/extract connection its failed to refresh when i went data source in the server and try to hit connect changing password its saying Could not connect to server .

while i am connecting oracle in desktop using ABC as server ( tried with server name which i got it from toad as well) and user id and password i am able to connect and develop the dashboard and published when i am connecting same in server its throwing me an error could not connect

tns details :

ABC=

(DESCRIPTION=

(LOAD_BALANCE=yes)

(ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL=TCP)

(HOST=xyz-klm-xxxx)

(PORT=1111)    )

(CONNECT_DATA=

(FAILOVER_MODE=

(TYPE=select)

(METHOD=basic)

(RETRIES=10)        (DELAY=5)      )      (SERVICE_NAME=ABC)    )  )

what i guessing:

1.do we need to setup tns entries in the server before its works because no where we have mentioned what is ABC in the tableau server so its not able to connect if this is correct please suggest where to update tns in the server

if my understanding is wrong please help me how to make it work my extract refresh .

thanks

• 1. Re: extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2
          Zach Leber

For anything other than basic connections you need a tnsnames.ora file on your Tableau Server in a directory specified by the system environmental variable TNS_ADMIN, e.g. C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin. This directory is part of the Oracle client installation which you get from Oracle. The Oracle client is not the same as the Oracle driver for Tableau which gets installed by default for Tableau Server and gets installed separately for Tableau Desktop.

Your best way to troubleshoot is to remote into the Tableau Server computer and run Tableau Desktop from there.

• 2. Re: extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2
            rao marapatla

Hi,

thanks for your response,in my server there are many projects which running hence they may have TNS_ADMIN available.

i reached out to admin people they said use IP address FQDN ,but my DB admin team saying they dont allow me to access through Ip address .

do you think i am missing somethink ?

when i am login in desktop with ABC as server and passwrod and user name can able to connect.

if i change server name:Abc and host name :abc and port no:1111 its throwing me error not able to recognize.

any thoughts

• 3. Re: extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2
              Zach Leber

TNS_ADMIN sets the path for the tnsnames.ora file which can contain all the Oracle databases. That's what we do.

You are able to connect to Oracle from your Tableau Desktop computer but how do you know your Tableau Server computer can connect to it? Most Oracle instances are inside firewalls and many Servers are outside.

Where is your Tableau Server located? Can you logon to the computer that is hosting it and run Tableau Desktop?

• 4. Re: extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2
                rao marapatla

Thanks for your prompt response,

we have restricted environment where we dont even have site admin rights., was contacted admin and he confirmed that with oracle server ABC is already configured with in server and assigend an IP for that and he shared with IP with me,using this IP address also i am not able to connect in desktop on my machine.

but he mentioned that he tried connecting desktop in the server with this IP and service name he got user id/password invalid error and said which means he can able to connect but i am not sure untill we key in user id and pssword and check.

for testing purpose i tried connection check in tableau site editing data source connection but no luck ,idle i should able to connect if he says he can able to connect with in the server through desktop.

if aam not able to connect in my desktop using provided IP which enables in server thinking may be firewal issue.but i should connect in tableau site right because its directly hosted by tableau server.

any thoughts what we are missing

• 5. Re: extract and Live connection in oracle are not refreshing in the server where as working well in Desktop 2018.2
                  Zach Leber

You're probably going to need to significantly change both your desktop and server Oracle configurations to match each other or you will not have a sustainable connect, publish, and refresh environment. It sounds like you need to find better local admin help.

If you could go to the desk of the server admin and connect to Oracle using Tableau Desktop you could immediately publish that Data Source to Tableau Server with embedded credentials. Then you could go back to your desk and use that published connection to build all your reports. But a published data source has to connect to a specific table so if you have lots of tables you want to join in different ways that won't work.

You can publish joined data but you can't join published data.