3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2019 3:18 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

Adding monthly data for current to text table

dain.heffernan

Hello Community Forums,

I'm sure this is pretty straightforward, but i've circled around for a few weeks on the forums and resource pages with little luck.

Acknowledging that text tables aren’t a good approach to visualisation (and that Tableau is not intended to act like Excel), my management team still want a summary table of activity data presented alongside my tableau visualisations in monthly reporting. The table presents caseload information using a distinct count of ‘Visit Numbers’.  I’m able to calculate Previous Year (PY) using simple calculated fields, and current year  – but they would like me to include monthly data for the current year. Short of creating a calculated field for each month in the year to date I haven’t been able to figure out an less cludgy way to have a column for each current year month.

Attached to this is a de-identified extract in a twbx with example data. Unfortunately I only have one month of dummy 2019 data loaded into the example, ideally it will update to include February once the data is refreshed. 

Below is an example of what they're requesting, the figures should match up to the data.

Total

2018 Total

2019-01

2019-02

2019 Total

Clinic 1

XXX

Clinic 2

XXX

Clinic 3

XXX

Grand Total

XXXX

I’m hoping someone can nudge me in the direction with creating a solution for columns like the one marked in red above.

With thanks,

Dain