2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2019 9:36 AM by pietro.tamburini

email dashboard visualization

pietro.tamburini

Hi all,

I am getting interested in Tableau and I need a few information about how reports are shared via email.

I know that reports can be shared through email subscription: what does the subscriber receive? a report directly in the body of the email? a link to the dashboard in the server? the dashboard in attachment? Does the subscriber needs to be signed in in Tableau?

On the other hand, it is possible to share reports via email without subscriptions? Can the report be sent directly in the body of the email?

thanks a lot for your support!

• 1. Re: email dashboard visualization
          Santiago Sanchez

Hi Pietro,

A few thoughts:

What does the subscriber receive? a report directly in the body of the email? a link to the dashboard in the server? the dashboard in attachment?

You get an e-mail with an image of the viz (report) reflecting the latest data available. This image has an hyperlink to the live version of the viz in Tableau Server/Online, so when you click on it you go into the interactive version. It looks something like this:

2019-01-25_10-27-18.png

Does the subscriber needs to be signed in in Tableau?

The subscriber doesn't need to be currently signed in to get the e-mail but he/she does need to exist as a user in Tableau Server.

On the other hand, it is possible to share reports via email without subscriptions? Can the report be sent directly in the body of the email?

You may want to take a look at this article: https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/tabcmd-for-generating-a-pdf-and-emailing. It requires some setup and you lose the interactivity which is arguably one of the most interesting pieces of a Tableau viz, but it's possible.

Hope this helps!

Santiago

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: email dashboard visualization
            pietro.tamburini

thanks a lot Santiago!