2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 5:10 AM by Jim Dehner

Calculate a difference depending on two filters on the dashboard

Jools HC

Hi everyone,

i'm new to tableau and have a question. I have to build a kind of dashboard like that:

What is the easiest way to compute „difference #Tickets in %“ and „difference #Profit in %“ in tableau? I don‘t know how to calculate it on a separate sheet, because i need the current values of the two filters on the dashboard.

Thank you,

jools

• 1. Re: Calculate a difference depending on two filters on the dashboard
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Jools

The easiest way to achieve this is to use parameters rather than filters, but the limitation of parameter is its value can't be updated when your data is reloaded.

ZZ

• 2. Re: Calculate a difference depending on two filters on the dashboard
            Jim Dehner

Good morning

In Tableau each worksheet is based on its own underlying table (subset of the total database)  - you create that table by placing dimensions and measures on the rows, columns, filter and detail shelves

Conceptually that is very different from the excel concept of bringing values from one sheet to another OK so what

you would create a "Final sheet" and build the calculations you need on that singles sheet (not you can pass filter from sheet to sheet but the dimension needs to be in each sheet's underlying table)

without seeing the actual data I can't be specific but one approach would be using sets to isolate the data in your 2 separate events and then base you summations on those sets

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.