3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2019 9:45 AM by Glenn Kuly Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Merging Graphs and creating stack

Glenn Kuly

Hi Maddy is this the sort of chart you want to see? (The following uses the StaffSatisfaction Excel tab, filter on the CCSP program):

To get something like this, you'll want to pivot the response data. I can walk you through this if it's what you are after.

-- Glenn

• 1. Re: Merging Graphs and creating stack
          Glenn Kuly

Hi Maddy, i've taken the liberty of putting together a quick workbook showing the staff satisfaction results for all programs,  but first of all one quick data question.

I can see that row totals for some of the response percentages do not add up to 100%, is this due to non-responses for these questions?

-- Glenn

• 2. Re: Merging Graphs and creating stack
            Maddy Boss

Yes Glenn,

I m looking for response as pivot client satisfaction you mentioned.

The real graph is on my original post too for client satisfaction wpc.

• 3. Re: Merging Graphs and creating stack
              Glenn Kuly

Hi Maddy, here's a couple references for working with survey data:

http://https://www.tableau.com/sites/default/files/media/whitepaper_surveydata_v4.pdf

https://www.datarevelations.com/surveyjustso.html

Keep in mind that you are working with response percentages, rather than the raw responses, and you'll have to adapt your work accordingly.

I've attached a workbook showing staff satisfaction questions as a stacked bar chart--not all of the rows in your data add up to 100%, I'm guessing that this relates to basing the response percentages on the number of people who took the survey, as opposed to the number of people who actually answered the question? Do you have a specific reason for doing this? It's possible to recast the results as percentage-of-row totals, but this is a choice you will have to make.

Here's how to create this chart after pivoting your data--as pointed out above, it's possible to do this with the data as is using measure names and measure values, but pivoting is very elegant.

In the data source window, select the three response columns, click on a down arrow in one of these columns, and click on 'pivot.'

The three columns will be transformed into two new columns, Pivot Field Names (which can be renamed Response) and Pivot Field Values (which can be renamed as Value).

In the view, as you will see in the attached workbook, place Program, Question Number and Question on the row shelf, and Value on the column shelf (Value might show as a dimension, if so, right click on it and convert it to a measure). Format Value as a percentage, and place it also on the Label shelf. Place Response on the color shelf.

-- Glenn