1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2019 10:38 AM by Esther Aller

Using/optimizing multiple data sources in one dashboard

Isaac Madera

Hi Tableau Community,

In my company, I do analysis for the European division. I have a report with a source that has millions of rows and many columns (30+). Making it smaller or thinner is out of the question.

The report a bit slow for users. I have it on an extract, so not much more I can do. Applying a filter can take 10-20 seconds to process. While 10-20 seconds is not ideal, it’s just enough to not turn people away. Any slower and people would stop using the report.

Here’s the problem -> I want to create a version for the Domestic/US team. Domestic data is MUCH bigger than European data. What takes 10-20 seconds for European data would likely take minutes or crash altogether for Domestic data.

One solution is to split Domestic into US regions (Northeast, Midwest, South, etc…) and create separate data sources for each region. That would keep each source to a manageable size. And most analysts in the company focus on a specific region, so it's fine if the regions are not all in the same source. As I understand, I can’t create a parameter to switch between data sources because Tableau does not have that capability. Unioning the regions would bring me back to square one – a very large data source – so that is not an option either.

The report has seven dashboards. If I have to create and maintain seven dashboards for each Domestic region, that would be way too much to manage. Anyone have any tips on how you would approach this?

Thanks,

Isaac

• 1. Re: Using/optimizing multiple data sources in one dashboard
          Esther Aller

Hi Isaac,

One tip would be to have one master workbook that you make all of the edits on. And then you could replace the data source for each region and save a copy of the workbook. It would still mean multiple copies of the workbook, but at the very least you won't have to make the same edits in each workbook. For directions, see Replace Data Sources - Tableau

Can you aggregate your extract? For example if you only need daily totals, you could roll the data up to the day level. This method would allow you to still get the correct daily totals, but could decrease the number of rows in the extract. See the "Determine how much data to extract" section of Extract Your Data - Tableau

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful