7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2019 7:40 AM by Yuriy Fal

Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica

Suhrid Ghosh

Hello,

I need detailed steps to enable & test load balancing between Tableau Server (Linux Edition) & Vertica Columnar Database.

Tableau Server Linux Edition Version : 2018.2

Vertica Analytical Database Version : 9.2.0

Please can anybody help me on this.

Thanks,

Suhrid Ghosh

• 1. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Suhrid,

I am going to move this to the Server Administration area of the forums for greater visibility with more of our community Server Admins. 

Patrick 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
            Suhrid Ghosh

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for looking into this. Still waiting to get a reply for the same.

Thanks,

Suhrid Ghosh

• 3. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Suhrid,

What if you write an ODBC connection customization file

(named say vertica.tdc ) in the 'Datasources' directory?

The XML code in the file would be like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>

<connection-customization class='vertica' enabled='true' version='18.1'>

<vendor name='vertica' />

<driver name='vertica' />

<customizations>

<customization name='odbc-connect-string-extras' value='ConnectionLoadBalance=1' />

</customizations>

</connection-customization>

The 'Datasources' directory would be (on the Tableau Server for Linux):

/var/opt/tableau/tableau_server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver/Datasources

The Tableau Server restart may be required (though i'm not sure).

You can also check if the customization works for you

by using the same TDC file with Tableau Desktop --

put it in My Tableau Repository/Datasources folder and check

if it actually enables Load Balancing on your Vertica cluster

(in TD make several connections simultaneously to test it).

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
                Suhrid Ghosh

Hello Yuri,

Thanks for looking in to this. I have use the above & found that it works as expected with Tableau Desktop. But from Tableau server the vertica load balancing doesnt seem to work. I raised this with Tableau support and they said that "We do not test & support TDC file".

In that case is there any other way we can achieve vertica load balancing for requests coming from tableau server.

Thanks,

Suhrid Ghosh

• 5. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
                  Yuriy Fal

Hi Suhrid,

Could you please walk through the following steps:

1) Remove the vertica.TDC file from your computer with Tableau Desktop

(from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\My Tableau Repository\Datasources folder).

2) Make a brand-new workbook (and the datasource in it) using a connection to Vertica.

3) Publish the workbook (with at least one simple view) -- or the Datasource itself --

to the Tableau Server. The server should have the vertica.TDC file in place

(in the /var/opt/tableau/tableau_server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver/Datasources directory).

4) Test if the published workbook (view) -- or a new workbook created in Web Edit mode

from the published datasource right on the server -- could use the Vertica Load Balancer.

Yours,

Yuri

• 6. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
                    Suhrid Ghosh

Hello Yuriy,

I followed your steps & ended up getting error that "tableau desktop & tableau server TDC file should match".

Thanks,

suhrid Ghosh

• 7. Re: Enabling Load balancing between Tableau Server for linux & Vertica
                      Yuriy Fal

Please do the last try:

Publish a new workbook while the vertica.TDC file is active in Tableau Desktop,

and have the same vertica.TDC file available on the Server, too.

Do it as if guided by a common sense :-)

Yours,

Yuri

PS  Yet another option would be to copy the <customization> section

from the vertica.TDC file and paste it right into the XML code

of the datasource (TDS) / workbook (TWB), and publish it to the server.

There is no need in TDC file on server in this case.