4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2019 12:58 AM by Natasha John Williams

Automate Data Refresh on Tableau Server

Natasha John Williams

Hello,

I am new to Tableau and Alteryx so please help me out in suggesting an efficient way to automate a Tableau Dashboard on the Tableau Server.

Currently, I have an Alteryx WorkFlow with all the calculations built in it which dumps the TDE file to a Shared Folder. I now have to Publish the Dashboard to Tableau Server for user consumption and make the data refresh automatic for future use from Tableau Server.

What are the different ways in which I can proceed to make this happen ?

Thanks.

Natasha

• 1. Re: Automate Data Refresh on Tableau Server
          Chris McClellan

I would do this :

Do this for the initial setup ...

- create a datasource that uses the TDE

- publish the TDE to Tableau Server

- when prompted, replace the existing datasource with the published one.

Now you can ...

- use the published datasource wherever you need in Tableau Desktop

- use Alteryx to refresh the data whenever you would like

- the new data is automatically there when the user accesses the data (via Desktop or Server login via browser)

- if the new data isn't visible, click refresh within in workbook (you can adjust this setting on Server, but Online is a 24hr cache)

• 2. Re: Automate Data Refresh on Tableau Server
            Natasha John Williams

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I have an Alteryx Workflow which refreshes the TDE file on a shared location in a drive. I have all the calculations built in the TDE file which are really important and I would want them to show up when I publish it on the Tableau Server.

My question is if the data would be refreshed on Tableau Server using the same TDE file which Alteryx dumps in the shared location as soon as the Alteryx Work Flow refreshes itself automatically ?

Can I Automate both the data refreshes in Alteryx Desktop and on Tableau Server by keeping the TDE file on the shared drive ?

Thanks.

Natasha

• 3. Re: Automate Data Refresh on Tableau Server
              Chris McClellan

There's no real need to save the TDE to the shared drive once everything is using the published data source.  The calculations will be there no matter where the TDE is stored, and publishing to Tableau makes the environment more secure (you can stop users from accessing the TDE if they shouldn't be allowed to). 

Can you automate both refreshes ? Sure, you will need Alteryx Server or the Scheduling option for Designer though.  I would recommend using ONE workflow for the 2 outputs - TDE to shared drive and publish to tableau, then when you don't need the shared drive file any more you just remove that part from the workflow.

• 4. Re: Automate Data Refresh on Tableau Server
                Natasha John Williams

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. It really helped me out to figure out a way to Automate the process using Tableau and Alteryx. And as u said it earlier, Tableau and Alteryx is the most powerful combination in Data Analytics and Reporting field right now. Of course there is room for lot of improvements for both and it's just a matter of time they will be used as Microsoft Excel around the world.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Natasha