8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2019 6:17 AM by tanvi khanna

Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container

tanvi khanna

Hi,

I am unable to swap 2 sheets in a single vertical container forcing them to occupy the container when active. Both the sheets are created as counter filter - so only one is active at a time.

My dashboard is functional wouldn't be able to share it as this doesn't happen in sample workbook.... so pls bare with images - should be easily understood..

1. images to that depict unsuccessful swap - the active sheet should occupy entire container but only occupies half of it - even when the option of distribute evenly is off

2. while in other containers I was successfully able to get this like below

reference : - my dashboard layout is as below

6 items compared by 5 measures

each measure - item combination has a container with 2 sheets - either the chart or NA when there is no data

I was successful in this only for 6 containers belong to measure 5 column (image 2)  and doesn't work for any of other containers (image 1)

items    measure1                                  measure 2           measure 3            measure 4        measure 5

item 1   container 1 (2 sheets)                c7 (2 sheets)

item 2   container 2 (2 sheets)                c8 (2sheets)

item 3   c3 (2 sheets)

item 4

item 5

item 6

I don't understand why this happens and not able to fix it.

I made sure, titles are hidden, the height is not fixed, using vertical containers and row has at least one pill - any help from your experience is highly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Tanvi

• 1. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
          sajad.bhat

Hi Tanvi,

Would it be possible for you to share sample workbook to fix it.

• 2. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
            Mavis Liu

Hi Tanvi,

This is because your donut chart hasn't been fixed to a discrete pill.

Add in a discrete pill, such as an adhoc calculation of '1' - and make sure to turn it discrete. Put it onto rows or shelf, and then hide the header.

The donut chart will then expand to fill up the space in the container.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 3. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
              kevin flerlage

One simple way to solve the problem would be to utilize duplicate dashboards with dashboard navigation buttons.  This can be done easily in 2018.3 or still pretty easily in earlier versions.  This technique simply involves creating different dashboards for the views you want then to utilize a button to switch between them.  It's about a 5 minute process. 

You can read about this technique in depth here:  https://www.kevinflerlage.com/2018/12/easily-create-collapsible-menus-sheet.html

If this helps you, please mark it as helpful or as answered.  Thank you,

• 4. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
                tanvi khanna

I am so sorry, my dashboard is functional and cannot share client data.

also since the issue is more cosmetic to me, I would rather spend time solving than creating dummy data with dummy sheets and placing in containers.

I hope images help to understand what I want to achieve..

• 5. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
                  tanvi khanna

Hi Mavis,

Thanks for your response.

I am not really sure what you suggested - but if you mean that I should have a discrete pill in row shelf on both sheets I need to swap - I do have that placed already. like I mentioned above in italics - I took care of:

I made sure, titles are hidden, the height is not fixed, using vertical containers and row has at least one pill - any help from your experience is highly appreciated!!

here is a snippet of the sheets I am trying to swap, if this helps:

Sheet 1 -

sheet 2 -

Looking forward to a solution/help out of experience.

thanks,

Tanvi

• 6. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
                    tanvi khanna

HI Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

I think this is more to do when user controls the swapping (by clicking on button to change the dashboard)

what I am trying to achieve is the sheet swapping based on filters. To elaborate, my case, one out of 5 is:

sheet 1: data in a pie chart filtered for records >30

sheet 2: gives blanks when records < 30, NA when there is no data for that dimension

So when user selects are particular year on the dashboard, if there is data for that year the sheet 1 should be activate and occupy the container having the pie chart or sheet 2 should occupy the container with either blanks or NA based on conditions I have written.

My dashboard is a grid, with 6 units placed row-wise to be compared across 5 dimensions column-wise and each dimension are unique by units to have their own sheets. so 30 sheets with charts and 30 sheets for NA/blanks when condition is not satisfied upon user filters.. Now I am able to successfully achieve the full container occupied by either of the sheets only for one of them. For rest 4 dimensions I am facing the issues although I did- I made sure, titles are hidden, the height is not fixed, using vertical containers and row has at least one pill..

Hpe explanation helps. looking forward to a solution/help out of experience.

thanks,

Tanvi

• 7. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
                      Mavis Liu

Hi Tanvi,

Neither of these sheets are fixed sized in the containers right?

Thanks,

Mavis

• 8. Re: Issue faced in sheet swapping in a container
                        tanvi khanna

no they are all fit in entire view.

thanks

Tanvi