3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2018 10:07 AM by Joe Oppelt

How to use selection on a sheet from one DB as a filter across multiple DBs?

Deepti Pradhan

Hello. I have three dashboards, each with 3-4 worksheets. All the data come from a single source. By choosing a w/s as a filter, I can propagate the selections from the w/s on the entire DB. Is there a way to have this happen across all the dashboards? Thank you. And happy holidays.

Deepti

• 1. Re: How to use selection on a sheet from one DB as a filter across multiple DBs?
          Vikram Gokhale

Have you tried Action Filters ? Or if you are using Filters, you can have them applied to all using related datasources

• 2. Re: How to use selection on a sheet from one DB as a filter across multiple DBs?
            Deepti Pradhan

Thanks. I don't want to use filters in this particular situation. I'd like to be able to use the w/s selections instead (for a variety of reasons). I'm not sure action filters would be the most efficient, because, let's say I have table on w/s 1 on DB1 and I select a row - I would like that selection to change the visualized data on all the DBs. When I create an action filter using this w/s, I have to choose the target sheet - this would mean I choose each DB as a target sheet right? Is there a way to say DB1 AND DB2 AND DB3, rather than make separate action filters for each? Besides, since I want to see the changes effected by the selection on w/s1 on DB1 too, how do I stop the action filter from skipping to the target dashboard right away? Or do I make the first target the original d/b? Hope this is not too convoluted a q!

• 3. Re: How to use selection on a sheet from one DB as a filter across multiple DBs?
              Joe Oppelt

I think you can put copies of all those other sheets from the other data sources on your first dashboard.  Then your select action could filter all those sheets.  (Make the copies of the sheets all hidden from the user.  For instance, float them under the actual data sheet on Dashboard 1.)

Then when your user moves to other dashboards, the sheets will be pre-filtered for them.

In the attached (superstore example, V10.5) I created a sheet from a second data source.  (See Sheet 5.)  It's on the OVERVIEW dashboard.  But I also put it on Dashboard 2.

Click on California.  You will see sheet 5 get filtered.  don't unclick it.  Just go to Dashboard 2.  You will see that it is filtered there too.

Go back to OVERVIEW.  Change the y-coordinate for Sheet 5 from its current 685 to 100.  This will hide the sheet behind the Sale map.  Click Texas.  (That's Central Region.)  Go to Dashboard 2.  Only Central is displayed.  And the user won't see Sheet 5 on the Overview dashboard, even though it is there.