You can control to display or hide the sheets from other dashboard using actions, so you don't need parameter to do that.
I don't think we can pass Action values to parameter. I tried something very basic, take a look to see if it works for you.@
Test_v10.5.twbx 2.4 MB
Thank you for responding. This is exactly what I am looking for!
Now I got 2 follow up questions.
1. The 5 products represent 1 product category, I want to add another product category (which has 3 products) to my first dashboard.
So my first dashboard now has 2 pie charts and I need to let the 1 piechart filter my second dashboard based on a click and the other piechart has to filter my third dashboard, is this possible?
2. Could you show me the steps you took to create the action. I recreated your action in my workbook.
- on my first dashboard picked the target worksheet
- on my second dasbhoard selected all worksheets
- exclude all values when clearing filter
- add source field and target field at target filter
But what happends now is that as soon as I select a product in my piechart it sends me to my second dashboard and select the sheet of the product I clicked on in my first dashboard but it doesn't hide the other ones.
1) Yes, you can do that. Attached workbook that does the same.
2) You followed everything correctly but I created a duplicate for the sub-category field. For each sheet, I'm filtering on specific sub-category by applying the sub-category filter and then I created the action using the duplicate "[Sub-Category(copy)]" field. So, when we click on the "Chairs" for example, the duplicate sub-category filed applies 'Chairs' filters to the target sheets. But other sheets apart from the 'chairs' filtered ones are already got filtered to respective sub-categories based on the original sub-category filter. So nothing shows up on the sheet.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Test_v10.5.twbx 2.3 MB
Thank you, this is indeed my result.
I do hope you can help me with another dashboard.
I've been working on a somewhat similar dashboard but with a different level of grannularity.
I got a similar setup:
Dashboard 1 has 5 pie charts with each piechart containing the same 5 products as before.
Each dashboard represents a value:
Dashboard 2 contains 5 worksheets: each worksheet contains a linegraph with the monthly course of each of the 5 values mentioned.
Now, if I click on my turnover piechart i want to get send to dashboard 2 and that it shows only my turnover linegraph sheet.
I tried to implement your answer to this dashboard as well but now I have the issue that this dashboard is based on 5 dimensions while the previous one was based on one.
We can only pass actions on dimensions not measures. Having said that, can you attach a sample workbook? It will make it easier to try any workarounds that solves your issue.
I've added a sample workbook using the same datasource as you did.
DB one having the 5 piecharts based on 5 measures
DB two having the 5 line graphs.
So just so you don't have to scroll back to look what I wanted:
I want to click on any of the 5 piecharts, and then it should send me to DB two and show only the line graph of the same value.
2 questions in response to your post:
Is it not possible to convert the 5 measures to dimension and use that as a unique identifier for each of the 5 worksheets?
Is it not possible to create a new dimension in just tableau purely to serve as a unique identifier for the 5 worksheets?
Sample workbook 2018.twbx 2.4 MB
I was able to do it using two calculated fields and two actions for each sheet.
1) I created two calculated fields 'Show' and 'Hide' and I use these calculated fields to pass between the sheets.
2) I created two actions for each sheet. In the first action, For Profit, I'm passing 'hide' value to 'show' value for all the line graphs except profit line graph. In the second action, I'm passing 'show' value from profit pie to 'show' value to profit line. So when we click on the profit pie, nothing changes in the profit line because we are passing 'Show' to 'Show' but all others gets filtered as we're passing 'Hide' to 'Show' in that sheets.Other sheets work in similar way by creating two actions for each sheet.
To answer your questions
1) we can't create a dimension to convert these 5 measures into dimension.
2) The show hide fields sort of acts like a unique identifier. We can do it using Parameters as well but we have manually change the selection for that. I can't recall if we can do it using other techniques.