2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 4:13 PM by Sarah Battersby

Use latitude and longtitude from two different excel files

Tableau Learner

Hi all,

I am trying to plot the lat and lon on a single map.

The lat and lon comes from two different excel files - Hotels & Offices.

I can plot the hotels map but i can't seem to add the lat and lon for the offices.

Unable to attach the workbook as data is confidential.

I have tried to add the office lat and lon at the position highlighted in yellow and tried to synchronize it like normal graphs. But seems like it does not work the same way as other graphs.

Could anyone shed some light into this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Use latitude and longtitude from two different excel files
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi TL,

Not sure but I think you can 'union' the Hotel & Office file when the structure of both files is the same.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Norbert

• 2. Re: Use latitude and longtitude from two different excel files
            Sarah Battersby

Agreed with Norbert's suggestion for unioning the files - that's the easiest if you have files with the same or similar structure.

If that doesn't work, you can also try a full outer join with non-matching fields (I often use calculated fields and set 0 = 1).  You would then just make a new calculated latitude field and longitude field that fill in the corresponding location from each (e.g., if the coordinate comes from hotels, drop that in the new column; if the coordinate comes from offices drop that in the new column).  If you have a third new column that specifies which dataset it which (e.g., which rows are hotels and which are offices) you can use that to easily disambiguate the locations.

-Sarah

Tableau Research

1 of 1 people found this helpful