4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 6:54 PM by jeremy schmidt

Sheet with parameters

jeremy schmidt

Hi,

I have a tableau workbook.  I want to show account, and account transactions.  i will pass a date parameter and an account parameter to tableau.  in the datasource query for the address it uses the account and in the datasource query for the transaction, it uses the account and date parameter.  i have then two sheets, one that shows address, and a table of transactions.

i would like to have another sheet that would show the parameter values, so on my "statement", i would have

Account #:  <parameter.account>

Date: <parameter.date>

Address:

Transactions:

[table here]

I am not sure how to create a sheet that would show the parameter values.  This sheet would not need a datasource, as the parameter values already have the values i need. 

Thanks!

Jeremy

• 1. Re: Sheet with parameters
          Jim Van Sistine

Hi Jeremy,

You can display the values from a parameter once you have a viz started.  Using SuperStore, I just added sum(Number of Records) onto the detail shelf so I had the start of a viz.  Then I added the 2 parameters onto text and added the labels manually.

Is this what you mean when you say you want to have a sheet that displays the parameter values?

- Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sheet with parameters
            jeremy schmidt

Hi Jim.  Thanks!   I think this might do it.  I was hoping that I didn’t have to link the sheet to a datasource but looks like I have to.  Was not sure if I had data for every client, but still wanted the account number and date on the statement. I planned on showing all three sheets (parameter values, address, and transactions in one page).

Jeremy

• 3. Re: Sheet with parameters
              Jim Van Sistine

Cool, glad it helped!

Tableau does need a data source for any viz, but you could create a dummy data source just for displaying those.  Something like a 1 row spreadsheet, or a dummy query from your database (i.e. select 'x' from dual) that would just have 1 row.  I've done that before if I was worried about impacting performance by hitting a bigger data source.

If this works for you, please mark the question as answered so someone else can find it if they have the same question.

Thanks!

- Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sheet with parameters
                jeremy schmidt

Thanks again Jim!  I like the idea of the dummy query and will try it out.

Jeremy