4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 10:49 AM by Ralf Rattay

Bar Charts Width, Formatting

Ralf Rattay

Hi,

I have a multiple axis bar chart:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-05 um 18.04.58.png

First of all, I would like to change the width of the bars. Since Score is more important than Affinity, the width should be wider.

Furthermore, I would like to change one of the measures from bar to text. If I do this, I get this one:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-05 um 18.06.22.png

I would like to align the score, so that each value is horizontally aligned.

Could someone please help?

Kind regards and many thanks,

Ralf

• 1. Re: Bar Charts Width, Formatting
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Ralf,

To align your Scores as text values, simply drop the sum([Score]) value onto your Rows then right click on it and make it discrete.  Then to adjust the size of the other two bars, click on the Size mark card and adjust the size there.  See the attached workbook with these updates.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 12.23.21 PM.png

Best,

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bar Charts Width, Formatting
            Ralf Rattay

Hi Paul,

thank you so much, it's working regarding the discrete values :-) I probably expressed myself wrong regarding the width. I don't want to change the width of the bar, I would like to change the width of the whole "segment". I've attached a screen to make myself more clear:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-05 um 18.49.08.png

Kind regards,

Ralf

• 3. Re: Bar Charts Width, Formatting
              Paul Wachtler

You're welcome Ralf.

For the column width, the only way to do that is to use two separate worksheets - shrink the width of the one width Affinity, and then position the reach workbook next to it so that it looks like a single sheet.  Check out the dashboard in the attached workbook for this.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 1.14.35 PM.png

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend shrinking the width of one axis when both axes are using the same numerical scale.  It's misleading visually.  If you want to emphasize one measure over another, you could use color, shape, or some other type of data encoding to do this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bar Charts Width, Formatting
                Ralf Rattay

Great, thanks a lot again Paul for the recommendations! Have a nice day,

Ralf