6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 3:35 AM by Jim Dehner

Issue in Filtering

Snehal Karwa

Hello,

I am facing an issue in Tableau 2018.3 that filter returns false on getting matched exactly.

I am using ‘Top Running Total % ‘parameter and filtering on the field ‘Running Total % of Sales’.

[ Calc: ‘Running Total %’<=parameter on filter shelf as true ]

I have attached .twbx file.

Please let me know about this, your help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Issue in Filtering
          Jim Dehner

Good morning - could you use an example to explain the issue - I looked at your book and the parameter and the T/F filter seem to be working as I would expect

Thanks

Jim

• 2. Re: Issue in Filtering
            Norbert Maijoor

Hi Snehal,

Find below

Display para.png

Regards,

Norbert

• 3. Re: Issue in Filtering
              Snehal Karwa

Hello Jim and Norbert, thanks for your quick reply!

Norbert, the example which you showed is for 'Top Running Total % (R.T)'=70%, and every records with Running Total %<=70% are present that is fine but my issue is when we select filter at 100%. Because of -ve sale value R.T exceeds 100% but the record with exact 100% R.T should come and filter should return true for it. But this filter gives false.

That record lies at last having R.T.=100% and have highlighted it. (Please refer sheet-1 in the file)

And even more shocking result i got on sheet-2 in which i have excluded all -ve sales , 0 and last two +ve sales records and then I get expected answer i.e. true for record with R.T.=100%.

In both sheet, R.T = 100% exactly but then why filter gives different result?

I have attached .twbx file, please check this, I respect your advice!

• 4. Re: Issue in Filtering
                Snehal Karwa

Hi,

Please find the attached file.

• 5. Re: Issue in Filtering
                  Norbert Maijoor

Hi Snehal,

Not sure if I understand your challenge?

Regards,

Norbert

• 6. Re: Issue in Filtering
                    Jim Dehner

Good morning

the results comes from the bottom end of your data where the sales are negative - so the last increment returns the running total % to 100

If that is a data point you want to include (sorry but I don't think you do) you could use a conditional statement around last()=0 to always include the point when the sales

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.