4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2018 7:07 PM by Kevin Warren

LOD Help - Dynamically adjust shelf filter in LOD measure calc by 1

Kevin Warren

Hello,

I am trying to compare the difference between consecutive date grouping. Not sure where to start in LOD land.

1a. For example, if a user is filtered down to current week, I want to create an LOD measure calculation to find what last weeks results were.

1b. if a user adjusts the filter down to last week, I want the LOD measure calculation to show what 2 week ago results were.

I don't want to completely ignore the shelf filter group, but I want the calculation to be dynamic and know what the current selection is and choose an offset of 1.

• 1. Re: LOD Help - Dynamically adjust shelf filter in LOD measure calc by 1
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Kevin,

Just to clarify - you want to be able to see the previous week's value for a given day once the week's filtered right?  So if you filtered on the previous week, on November 24th for example, you'd want to see the utilization value for November 17th right?

If that is what you're looking to do, I built that out for you in the updated attached workbook.  I did it using a table calc though, not an LOD - but it is showing values for the previous week.  I added in a table calc friendly date filter so your users can still filter the dates.  However your 1W filter won't work anymore because it will break the table calc.

LODs adjust the level of detail in your view but they're not meant for moving across tables like table calcs are.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.52.21 PM.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: LOD Help - Dynamically adjust shelf filter in LOD measure calc by 1
            Kevin Warren

Paul,

Thanks for the response and building out the LOD vlookup calc. This is a step in the right direction, but how do we fill in the blanks shown below (see screen shot), WITHOUT undoing the filter?

More Context: A user is going to select 1 week timeframe from the filter shelf. I need that previous week utilization to show whatever the selection, so we can dynamically compare to the previous week. We want to know what the filter selection is, so we can ignore it and substitute the previous week (offset) for it. Because of the filter limitation, I am thinking this cannot be achieved using table calcs, but I am hopeful there is a way using a nested LOD expression and maybe a parameter to arrive at the previous weeks result.

• 3. Re: LOD Help - Dynamically adjust shelf filter in LOD measure calc by 1
              Paul Wachtler

Hi Kevin,

I can't see the right side of your viz - it's cut off on the screenshot.  With the table calc I used, the first week doesn't have the previous week's data because there wasn't a previous week.  The first week in the data doesn't have a previous week.  So whatever data you add in, the first week will always have a blank previous week, but every other week will have these values.

And like I said, only that date filter I put in will work since it's also using a table calc - the 1W filter will remove values.

Again, LODs are used for moving up or down, or fixing the level of detail in your viz.  It's not used for moving from one date to a previous date - which is a table calculation.  There's no nested LOD I can think of that can do what you're looking to do.

Best,

Paul

• 4. Re: LOD Help - Dynamically adjust shelf filter in LOD measure calc by 1
                Kevin Warren

Paul,

Thanks for the response. I will go back to the drawing board.