9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 2:22 PM by Jim Dehner

Selecting Region while showing county level

Timothy Servinsky

Hi, Everyone,

I am setting up a dashboard where I would like to use an action to select region from a map. I currently have county in detail so that users will be able to tell which counties belong to the region, but I don't want to select based on county-- only region.

I feel like there might be a way to use level of detail to get there, but I'm too new to be able to figure it out. Also, just to complicate things, I have four counties that have no respondents in my dataset. I have joined a full list of counties with associated region so that the map doesn't have holes.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

• 1. Re: Selection Region while showing county level
          Jim Dehner

Hi Tim

First welcome to Tableau and the Forum - the answer depends on the data structure and the number of sources - if there is a relationship already in the d/b between the region and county (i.e. each record has a county and region) then all you need to do is place the region on the detail with county (a hierarchy would be better) and then pass the count in an action filter

But I doubt that there is a county and region tied each record - in that case you will need to join files together to create the relationship

in any event we won't be able to tell without seeing your TWBX workbook with thedata

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Selection Region while showing county level
            Timothy Servinsky

Thank you, Jim!

Let me try to explain what I did. In the initial dataset, I have 4 counties that weren't represented-- there were no respondents from these counties. To fill in the map, I created a new data source so that each county had an assigned region and then did a join on county. The new region geography then correctly filled in appropriate counties on the map.

When I click on any county on the map, it correctly filters the other data, so I know that the join is set up correctly. I just don't want the user to be able to filter at the county level.

Since I've done this join, it sounds like I can do what you suggested. Could you explain what you mean by "pass the count in an action filter?" I already have the region in detail along with county, set up as a hierarchy.

Thanks again,

Tim

• 3. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
              Jim Dehner

Please supply a twbx workbook - also please review - Getting Started in the Forums

on how to get the most out of the forum

Thanks

Jim

• 4. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                Timothy Servinsky

I think I've correctly anonymized this.

If I collapse county into region, the selection works as intended, but I want people to be able to see the counties so that they know which counties are in which region. (Please forgive the formatting. I lost most of the formatting when I replaced the data source with the new one.)

Thanks again,

Tim

• 5. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                  Jim Dehner

Hi Tim

Thanks for sending the workbook - as I understand the problem you want to use the map as a filter but at the region level

it looks like you have set up the actions on the dashboard to go from each worksheet to all the others ex the map - thats OK and it looks like it is working properly

The easiest way to use only the REGION on the map is just to remove the 'county pill' - you can drag it off or close the region by unselecting the dropdown

see the attached

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                    Timothy Servinsky

I know that I can do that, but then I lose the county in the level of detail, which I need. That's why I wondered if using a level of detail calculation somehow would help.

• 7. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                      Jim Dehner

Ok

you want a visual that shows county but only is actionable at regions

see the attached

Start on the region tab ac create a dual action map

On Region

Note the order is important - You want the region layer to be on top - it county is on top just reverse the Lat pills

on the dashboard there will be 2 actions

I changed yours to eliminate the Region

then added a separate Region action the only passes Region

it now does this

Jim

• 8. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                        Timothy Servinsky

Thank you so much! The piece I was missing was that I could do a dual axis map. I also was not familiar with the map layers feature. Thank you for your help!

Tim

• 9. Re: Selecting Region while showing county level
                          Jim Dehner

Glad to help out - the mapping capability in Tableau is extensive - if you check on Tableau Public and follow Sarah Battersby you will see some amazing mapping capability-

Jim