4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 10:48 AM by Akram Ebrahim

Data Alerts not sending email to users at exact time every day

Akram Ebrahim

Hi Everyone,

In my current tableau server, I have one dashboard where I set up the condition and data alert frequency 'daily at most', expecting to data alert as email to 20 users everyday same time after data sources got refreshed.

Tableau data extract schedule runs every day morning 07.30 AM.( only once a day)

But the tableau server sends email alert screenshot to users at

08.30 AM -First day,

09.40 AM - Second day

10.50 AM - Third day and so on..

If i set the frequency as 'Frequently as possible' then tableau server sends alert every hour. That's spamming the inbox of business users with same alert information.

Solution Needed:

Tableau server should send data alert to 20 users as email everyday exactly after datasources gets refreshed. Eg. exactly at 07.30 AM everyday.

How could i resolve this problem? Guide me from your inputs.

• 1. Re: Data Alerts not sending email to users at exact time every day
          Matt Coles

You can call this effect "Alert drift". It occurs because "no more frequently than ____" really means "suppress alerts for a period of ___ after they are triggered". So depending on when they go off, Tableau Server will wait 24 hours past that time before trying again.

Solutions can be:

1. Run the alert hourly, and build a check for the current hour into your alert criteria using NOW(), and suppress any alerts for hours you don't care about.

2. Use a conditional subscription that can be scheduled at a specific time.

3. Are you mixing live and extracted connections in your workbook? If so, try extracting the live ones too, and refreshing all of them on a daily basis. Keeping the alert frequency at "as often as possible". It should run the alert when your extracts complete.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Alerts not sending email to users at exact time every day
            Akram Ebrahim

Hi Matt,

All are useful inputs for me. Your solution at 3rd point already working fine for 5 of my data alerts perfectly. Even I dont have live connection only this alert trouble me when I set 'As frequently as possble'.

I was in the process of sending subscription to multiple users from administrator login.

Unless I found a solution, will keep this thread open and will close with exact answer.

• 3. Re: Data Alerts not sending email to users at exact time every day
              Matt Coles

To clarify, if you have even a single live connection anywhere in your workbook--even if the viz you have your alert on does not use it--then your alert will run hourly by default. You must extract all connections in the whole workbook if you want the alert to run when your extracts refresh.

• 4. Re: Data Alerts not sending email to users at exact time every day
                Akram Ebrahim

Hi Matt and everyone,

The issue solved with temporary solution as it was critical, with sending subscription of view to users on the fixed time.

Quick Start: Subscribe to Favorite Views

This option was only available to the dashboard owner who published the workbook not all have permission to add subscribers. So I have created a conditional subscription with workbook owner(one who published the workbook) to run at a same time daily.

So I can mark this as solved, but if i could find the better solution will update the same.

Matt Coles answer second point almost similar to my solution, so I marked that as correct answer.