1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2018 5:15 PM by Rogier Koning

Visualizing Bloodpressure

Rogier Koning

Hi,

We are a group of patients together trying to setup our own patient driven research We are Cluster headache patients collecting data about our symptoms and treatments to hopefully find trends of best treatments.
      We are trying to get our blood values visualized, We hoped to make a setup were we see horizontally the day of the month (all, so not only those that have data) and display the top and bottom value as a bar in in with on the rows the values from 50 to 200.

But any other input on how to display these bloodpressure values would be great. Important for us to see is that we get an idea about change over time.

Order:member
      nameTagGroupDateTime (until)Time (from)DurationIntensityQuantityUnitdescriptionNumberBlood pressure (low)
      Blood pressure (high)

Member21

Blood pressureSymptom20/11/201822:20:0020/11/2018 22:20:0072132

Member21

Blood pressureSymptom20/11/201820:42:0020/11/2018 20:42:0090131

Member21

Blood pressureSymptom19/11/201822:45:0019/11/2018 22:45:0086129

Member21

Blood pressureSymptom15/11/201806:23:0015/11/2018 06:23:0077111
      5Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201815:46:0014/11/2018 15:46:0077109
      6Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201813:18:0014/11/2018 13:18:0082124
      7Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201809:50:0014/11/2018 09:50:0089149
      8Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201809:24:0014/11/2018 09:24:0089129
      9Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201809:12:0014/11/2018 09:12:0086152
      10Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201808:53:0014/11/2018 08:53:0071117
      11Member21Blood pressureSymptom14/11/201804:44:0014/11/2018 04:44:00104138
      12Member21Blood pressureSymptom12/11/201816:39:0012/11/2018 16:39:0086148
        • 1. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
          Norbert Maijoor

Morguh Rogier,

Something like this? Find my approach as reference below and stored in attached workbook version 10.2 located in the original thread

sysdia.png

Regards,

Norbert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
            Chris McClellan

Or something like this:

2018-11-23 21_11_46-Tableau - 288429.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
              Matthijs Blenkers

Hi Rogier,

Your question triggered me. Visualizing bloodpressure over time can be done in either way Norbert and Chris are suggesting. But is it going to answere the underlying question?

Are you 'just' trying to show bloodpressure over time?

or

Are you trying to find a relation between bloodpressure during the cluster headaches and de treatment

or

something else ....

gr.

Matthijs

• 4. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                Rogier Koning

I like Both solutions. The one from Chris Martin a bit ore because its more what I had in mind, and the days continue, even if there is no data at these days. Meaning you get a better understanding of where different items are collected through time. But I suppose that can be setup in the other solution as well. The bars feel a bit better because in the first chart it seems like 2 loose items and in the second you feel that they are connected.

Matthijs Blenkers Good question. As Patient group we are now 4 month working together. And we are starting to learn to work with data. Thats a bit late you would think but we have to do everything in steps.

In our research we have 2 parts. The first part is that we want to give feedback to the group about the data they collected individual. The second part is that we want to analyze all the data together to see if we can find trends of best treatments. I know our group isn't big enough, but that will become more over time. So we now hope to start to build dashboard(s) to look at all the data we collect every month.

The personal report gives the patient insight on the 3 factors that divine how are attacks are. These 3 factors are: Duration, frequency and intensity of attacks. Blood-pressure is an item members collect, so I want to display this graphic in the report (I'll add 2 to show you want we've build as a first report)

http://nobism.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Clusterheadache-report-Rogier-2.pdf

http://nobism.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Clusterheadache-report-Member12.pdf

At the other side we hope to analyze a lot of things off course, but we have to start somewhere. So we try to start to find our abortive treatments (see my other question) Abortive treatments are those that we take when we have an attack. If we have a way to filter out the attacks with treatments and those without than we also can look at the 3 factors that divine our attacks and see if we can see trends between the different treatments or non-treatment. With every member adding more data, the significance will improve I suppose and adjustments to the analysis can be made where necessary

If you have any suggestions how to visualize cluster headache and Blood-pressure. Or in general, One symptom and blood-pressure, that would be great.

• 5. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                  Chris McClellan

You could expand on the barbell graph to show the "green zone" where the blood pressure is considered normal and the "red zone" where it is abnormal.  This could be by adding a coloured background to the graph &/or colouring the dots &/or colouring the bars.

• 6. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                    Rogier Koning

Thats a nice Idea, That should make it easier to read also. Thanks Chris McClellan

I'll try later to see how that works and when I have an example, I'll post it.

• 7. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                      Matthijs Blenkers

Nice work! Showing data will give so much more insight.

One I thought of: A scatterplot with intensity en duration. Perhaps with reference lines for the AVG or median (creating quadrants)

If you ever need help.... The community is willing

• 8. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                        Rogier Koning

I've connected the solution to my own datasheet with all the data and its working nicely.

I was diving into the idea to setup a background for the chart so I've been looking at what normal Bloodpressures are. Problem its not liniar. (see picture) So I can't add a background because the outcome depends the top and bottom value.

bloodpressure-values.png

This is the way it displays now:

Bloodpressures-now.png

Is there a way to color the gray lines, that connect the high and low values to display the Value of the measurement? Ive made 2 setups in photoshop.

Gray-lines-in-colors.png

Gray-lines-Dots-in-colors.png

In my personal view, the second one with line & dots in the same colour, gives the best view.

Is this doable in Tableau?

• 9. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                          Chris McClellan

Rogier Koning wrote:

I've connected the solution to my own datasheet with all the data and its working nicely.

I was diving into the idea to setup a background for the chart so I've been looking at what normal Bloodpressures are. Problem its not liniar. (see picture) So I can't add a background because the outcome depends the top and bottom value.

bloodpressure-values.png

Gray-lines-Dots-in-colors.png

In my personal view, the second one with line & dots in the same colour, gives the best view.

Is this doable in Tableau?

Sure, do you have the data that you used to design the latest graph ?

Although I could just make it up

• 10. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                            Rogier Koning

Or like this:

Dots-in-colors.png

• 11. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                              Chris McClellan

Here you go, with some random data

2018-11-27 08_33_01-Tableau - 848755.png

• 12. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                                Rogier Koning

You are fast

I'll see if I can see how it works and if I can include it in my file. I'll let you know.

• 13. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                                  Rogier Koning

I've been adding the solution to my file and it works looking at changing the colours. But the colours are not correct in the stages they should have. Reading your calculation filed made did gave me the idea that it seems allright.
                                  I did change "And' to "OR"in the High Blood Pressure and I've set the 81 value to 80. That made it a bit better but the higher stages don't seem to function good.

I've added the correct stages to the excel file to easy check if a colour is correct and I've added some extra data to have some more examples.

Hope you could take another look

• 14. Re: Visualizing Bloodpressure
                                    Chris McClellan

Ah yes, my logic in the Colours was wrong, but following your logic you will never get to Hypertensive Crisis:

If [High] < 120 and [Low] < 80 then "Normal"
                                    elseif  [High] >= 120 and [High] <= 129 and [Low] < 80 then "Elevated"
                                    elseif  [High] >= 130 and [High] <= 139 and [Low] >= 81 and [Low] <= 89 then "High Blood pressure - Stage 1"
                                    elseif  [High] >= 140 and [Low] >= 90 then "High Blood pressure - Stage 2"
                                    elseif  [High] > 180 then "Hypertensive Crisis"
                                    elseif [Low] >120 then "Hypertensive Crisis"
                                    else "** unknown **"
                                    end

Line 4 takes the High >= 140 and a high value of Low, so you never get to Line 5 except if Low is under 90

Try this :

If [High] < 120 and [Low] < 80 then "Normal"
                                    elseif  [High] >= 120 and [High] <= 129 and [Low] < 80 then "Elevated"
                                    elseif  ([High] >= 130 and [High] <= 139) or ([Low] >= 81 and [Low] <= 89) then "High Blood pressure - Stage 1"
                                    elseif  [High] > 180 or [Low] > 120 then "Hypertensive Crisis"
                                    elseif  [High] >= 140 or [Low] >= 90 then "High Blood pressure - Stage 2"
                                    else "** unknown **"
                                    end

Some extra OR logic in Line 3, reordering 4 & 5 to catch the Crisis and it should be almost perfect.

Please test with real data though , the Crisis condition is tricky being AND and OR at the same time.

1 2 Previous Next