5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 5:39 PM by Chris McClellan

Minimum cost on new subscription model

Scott Henry

Hi TC,

I'm just doing some math here to figure out what the new subscription model is going to mean to our organization upon the looming transition. By my accounting, the minimum as stated on the For Organizations page (on-prem pricing):

1 Creators @ $70 / mo = $840 / yr

5 Explorers @ $35 / mo = $2100 / yr

100 Viewers @ $12 / mo = $14,400 / yr

So, I maintain the on-prem infrastructure, and it costs over $14,000, minimum. Is anyone else concerned about this?

• 1. Re: Minimum cost on new subscription model
          Chris McClellan

You don't need to buy all the license types though.  You might just want to buy 10 Explorers only or buy 3 Creators & 8 Explorers.

What you've quoted is the minimum initial purchase.  So yes, if you need Viewers then your first purchase must be 100 .... but do you really need Viewer functionality ? 

I had a client recently that really does only need Viewer functionality for 10 users.  So do you spend $14,400 (100 Viewers) or $4,200 (20 Explorers) ?

Talk to your Account Rep about your existing setup though.

• 2. Re: Minimum cost on new subscription model
            Scott Henry

Thanks for the input Chris - that's good info.

It wasn't clear from the chart that you don't need to purchase each type. So really, theoretically I could buy just 1 Creator license for a deployment.

So then I'm faced with the option of needing to buy 30 Explorer licenses for people that really only need viewer at almost triple the price per user, because I really don't need 100 of them. That's $12.6k versus 100 Viewers at $14.4k, which would allow (too much) room for growth. Both are a big increase from how we manage now, where we have 8-core metric and desktop licenses (which they lovingly call 'legacy' at this point) w/ shared key for Prep, which works way better for us. But we're anticipating the future. We haven't gotten a concrete timeline from them.

• 3. Re: Minimum cost on new subscription model
              Chris McClellan

If you're on a Core license and you don't want to move then stay on Core   

There's a lot of customers who are staying on Core at the moment, there are SLIGHT differences in functionality but you might not see the difference.

Scott Henry wrote:

So really, theoretically I could buy just 1 Creator license for a deployment.

You could, but then only 1 user could login.  According to the License Agreement, you can't create a generic account or share passwords so that everyone knows the account.  Even if you did, everyone would see all the same workbooks and data - that might work in a small company but it won't work in a larger implementation.

• 4. Re: Minimum cost on new subscription model
                Scott Henry

Thanks Chris - Right, it wouldn't actually make any sense, just in terms of an actual "minimum" that I was formerly mistaken about.

On that point of shared accounts, then every person that needs to do Admin duties needs to pay for a license? Any turnover/transition or hiring during the term would require a new annual license? We share Admin responsibilities among our IT staff, so that would be significant expense.

What about a guest user / demo account? Is that still a possibility? One big concern is that we would no longer be able to embed a viz or make it worldwide public (per the guest account for core metric described here Embed Views into Webpages - Tableau ) . It makes sense that this wouldn't be available with named user licensing, but it's definitely on our minds.

• 5. Re: Minimum cost on new subscription model
                  Chris McClellan

If you're using Core licensing and guest access I'd recommend talking to your account rep.