1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 8:56 PM by Ken Flerlage

Can't connect to BI Connector

Mahammad Ismayilzada

Hello everyone,

I am trying to connect Tableau Desktop to my MongoDB server. I have successfully launched BI connector on a remote server listening on port 3307 and has mapped my mongodb collections to create the schema. Now from my macbook, I am trying to connect to this server, but for some reason I keep getting the error below:

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

I have followed the tableau desktop and mongodb documentation to do this. My remote server is Ubuntu 18.04 and is using BI Connector 2.8.1. My mongodb server requires authentication and SSL CA file which I have specified all in mongosqld.conf and it works fine to connect and create the schema. From my macbook, I create a DSN pointing to my remote server and username, password for authentication (no SSL). What am I missing here?

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Can't connect to BI Connector
          Ken Flerlage

I'd suggest first trying to eliminate Tableau from the picture. The MongoDB BI Connector essentially makes Mongo's NoSQL database look like a relational MySQL database. So, you connect to it exactly like a MySQL database. So, as a test, can you try using MySQL Workbench to connect to your BI Connector? Then please come back and let us know how that goes.