2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 10:56 AM by Kamil Nikiel

SQL Server connection extract

Kamil Nikiel

Hi All,

I have a report with +20milion rows of data connected to a view on sql server. Had to implement some access control using stored procedures and initial sql.  Basically at the time of connection tableau checks the user and return relevant data from server. Sadly this is what killed performance...Questions I got and hope somebody will be able to answer:

1. Currently I have a live connection with initial sql. When I switch it to extract will initial query still work ?can I have initial sql and use extract connection

2. Would publishing  an empty extract and connecting workbook to it help ?

3. Or should I generate an extract of sql server view and publish it to tableau server ??

Any help appreciated

• 1. Re: SQL Server connection extract
          Hari Ankem

Here are my responses to your questions below:

1. Currently I have a live connection with initial sql. When I switch it to extract will initial query still work ?can I have initial sql and use extract connection

Yes.

2. Would publishing  an empty extract and connecting workbook to it help ?

Help in doing what? How/when would the data be refreshed then?

3. Or should I generate an extract of sql server view and publish it to tableau server ??

This may be a better option. You can then connect to this data source and apply filters as required for the security.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SQL Server connection extract
            Kamil Nikiel

Thanks for the answers , will give it a try. Regarding point 2 I want to publish an empty extract and let servers refresh it with data, because generating full data extract might take a while