1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 7:34 PM by swaroop.gantela

Unable to find how to extract data

Laila Sprejer

Hi!

I've seen this question before but still didn't find how to... when I try to save my dashboard to Tableau Public this error message appears

But I cannot find how to export data!

If I right click the data source I only see 3 options:

Edit connection, rename and remove.

And in the data menu the only export option is to csv...

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Unable to find how to extract data
          swaroop.gantela

Laila,

It looks like you are using Tableau Public Desktop?

The Datasource tab in Public Desktop is lacking the "Extract" radio button:

Re: What is the difference between Tableau Public and Tableau Desktop Public?

And it looks like Public Desktop is supposed to automatically save and extractupon publishing:

"Can I save to Tableau Public a workbook with a live connection to a data source?

It is only possible to have a live data connection to a Tableau Public workbook if you use a Google sheets data source. You can then select to have the Google sheets  automatically every 24 hours. For all other data sources (like excel or a csv) it is not possible to save to Tableau Public any workbooks with a live connection to a data source. An extract needs to be generated. When saving a workbook to Tableau Public from Tableau Desktop Professional edition, a data source extract needs to be generated by the user.  In the case of Tableau Desktop Public Edition, the extract is automatically generated when saving the workbook to Tableau Public on the web."

Alternatively, is there an "Extract  Data" option in the Data Menu?:

287505pub.png