7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 10:29 AM by Keshia Rose

Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source

huifong.teh

Keshia Rose

Hi Keshia,

Thanks for developing this useful feature as an extension in Tableau!

I am using the Data-Driven Parameter extension to update my parameter based on a field (Reportdate) in my data source.

However, the parameter is not being updated automatically when the field is updated in my data source.

I need to manually trigger the update by clicking on the drop down and selecting one of the dates. After that the parameter date list will be updated.

Is there any way to automate this? Other than the workaround mentioned above?

Really appreciate if you can help on this. I am using parameter to view historical data in my dashboard and I am really grateful that you develop this extension@.

The parameter drop down before update the data source:

The parameter drop down after update the data source (parameter date list is not updated):

Trigger the update by clicking on the drop down and selecting one of the dates. After that the drop down will be updated.

Thank you

Regards,

Hui Fong

• 1. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
          Keshia Rose

Hi Hui Fong,

Hmm, that is a good point and something that I think would be a great addition for this extension. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to detect when the data source has refreshed and hence there is no way for the parameter to update automatically when it does.  We do have this feature in our backlog but I'm not sure when it would become available. Thank you for adding your name to the list of people who want this feature though, it helps us prioritize what to work on.

Take care,

Keshia

• 2. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
            huifong.teh

Hi Keshia,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this in Tableau Server and it is working fine. It is weird that it is not working on Tableau Desktop.

However, I have faced another problem.

1.  How to sort the Reportdate list in the extension in descending order?

- I have defined the default sort order to descending in my Reportdate field. But it is still sorted in ascending      order in the extension.

2. How to default the Reportdate selection in the extension to the latest date from the Reportdate field?

- Currently the default value for the Reportdate selection in the extension is based on the 'Current value'      configured in the parameter. And I cannot use other extension (which let me default the value to today's date)      concurrently. Auto update from the database table field has higher priority in my project.

Really hope you can help to advise on this and looking forward to the automatic update being implemented in future release.

Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,

Hui Fong

• 3. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
              Keshia Rose

Hi Hui Fong,

Good news and bad news. Good news is I've just made an update to the extension that should now let you reverse the order! As for updating based on the data, not so sure on that one. However, the code for the extension is now open source and available on GitHub: GitHub - tableau/extension-data-driven-parameters: Automatically update your parameters based on your data!. Perhaps you or one of your developers could download it locally and modify it to this type of updating? I will definitely think about adding an option for this but it probably won't be for a while until it gets into the published extension.

Hope you had a great turkey day!

Take care,

Keshia

• 4. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
                huifong.teh

Hi Keshia,

Really thanks for your help! I had a great Black Friday, shopping crazily. The extension is working as per described and I am able to sort the date in descending order

As for updating based on data, are you referring to parameter refresh automatically after the data source has refreshed? Or defaulting the parameter to the latest entry in the data source? The former is working fine in the Tableau Server. I am currently finding alternative for the latter. It is quite an important feature for my project.

Noted on the open-source code on GitHub too. What do you mean by getting into published extension?

Thank you

Regards,

Hui Fong

• 5. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
                  Keshia Rose

Hi Hui Fong,

Yay, I'm glad the sorting worked for you! As for the second part, I was referring to defaulting the parameter to the latest entry in the data source. I have heard this idea from one other person and I want to add it but won't have time to for a little while. That's what I meant about not getting it into the published extension. I hope you can find a workaround in the meantime and I'll let you know when those changes are in!

Take care,

Keshia

• 6. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
                    Armin Kneesch

Thank you pointing this out and thank you @ the dev-team to taking this feature to your list (I definitely need this as well!).

I still have a problem with manually edited parameters that are included in the datasource.

For example:

I have a parameter with a list of years added to the datasource, I added an other year to the list of the parameter and re-published the datasource.

When I open my workbook, that is connected to that datasource, then the new year does not show up. When I open a new workbook and add that datasource, then the added year is on the available list.

The reasoning is that IF we have to manually edit parameters, then we want to do this only once and not manually in every workbook.

Why isn't local parameter not updated with the updated parameter on the source?

• 7. Re: Data-Driven Parameter is not updated automatically when the field is updated in data source
                      Keshia Rose

Hi Armin,

Yes, this is unfortunate. You are seeing this behavior because although parameters come with data sources they are actually tied to the workbook. You can see this if you add a data source with a parameter then add one without, then delete the first one and the parameter will remain. Once it is brought in it is no longer connected to the data source and is static.

Take care,

Keshia