4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 3:26 PM by ShivaRam Chennapragada

Navigate a filter action to a story

Shanna Liu

Hi:

I have a lot sheets, dashboards in my workbook, to minimize the pages displayed to users, i'm trying to navigate a filter action to a story, but don't see stories are listed in the drop down of Target Sheets.

can someone please help on how to navigate filter action to a story?

thank you

• 1. Re: Navigate a filter action to a story
          ShivaRam Chennapragada

Hi Shanna- "Story" in Tableau is a collection of views/Dashboards that follows a narrative. It is best used when you want the user to follow certain narrative, explore data and answer questions. It is not ideal to mix things with worksheets/Dashboards and Stories within a workbook.

- In your situation, make use of dashboards effectively, if you don't to show all the sheets at once you can always "swap sheets" using a simple parameter (my favorite technique to include multiple sheets on to a dashboard but show only select few at a time).

- See if you can break the workbook into multiple workbooks, publish them separately, and make use of URL actions to jump from one to another.

- Avoid publishing individual worksheets and incorporate them into dashboards.

Hope this would give you some direction.

Best,

Shiva.

• 2. Re: Navigate a filter action to a story
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi shanna,

Story not added any actions, so better use dashboards in workbook and interact it.

thanks

sankar

• 3. Re: Navigate a filter action to a story
              Shanna Liu

Hi Shiva:

Thanks for explanations.

For your option - - See if you can break the workbook into multiple workbooks, publish them separately, and make use of URL actions to jump from one to another.

I have dashboards published  in different workbooks, crated a landing page with a filter, trying to use dynamic URL action to navigate to dashboards from different workbooks, but I was not able to make the dynamic URL action link work with the workbook names and dashboard names as parameters.

Instead, I have to create a lot hyperlink buttons to navigate to dashboards in different workbooks manually.  Is there a way to use dynamic URL action to navigate to these dashboards from different workbooks?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you

Shanna Liu

IT Metrics & Reporting

HealthTech Security

Health Care Service Corporation

Shanna_Liu@bcbstx.com<mailto:Shanna_Liu@bcbstx.com>

Office: 972-664-5054

Mobile: 972-679-4629

• 4. Re: Navigate a filter action to a story
                ShivaRam Chennapragada

Could you share some screenshots or sample workbook to better understand the problem?