1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 9:55 AM by Ritesh Bisht

Like operation in Tableau like SQL(a%,%a and others) .Need solution using Regex

DHRITIMAN BANERJEE

Hi Community,

I want to do a Like operation in Tableau but in Tableau 10.2, Like operation is not present.

1)I am taking a data set for "a% like operation in SQL"

BC I-123456
      BC I - 123456
      BCI12345667
      BC-I-123456
      BC-1&123456
      BC&1&123456
      BC I- 1

In the above data set , those string pattern which starts with "BC I-" will be treated as true and other will be treated as false. The underlined and bold ones is true according to my dataset.

As per my logic, I have used this logic :

"IF STARTSWITH(lower([Name1]),'BC I-') THEN 1

ELSEIF STARTSWITH(lower([Name1]),'BC I-') AND  FINDNTH([Name1]," ",2)=6 THEN 1

ELSE 0 END"

But this above code have complexity , if there is any space,special characters,characters after 'BC I-' , then it is treated false.

I have to use findnth function to take space but it is not feasible  to do like this for all space,special characters and characters

Can you please share a regex pattern or any better methods . So if there any space,special characters,characters after 'BC I-' ,it will return true else false.

2)How to do SQL operation like '%a' in Tableau

3) How to do SQL operation like '%aora%' in Tableau which finds any values that have "or" in any position in Tableau.

4)How to do SQL operation like '_r%' which find any values that have "r" in the second position in Tableau.

5)How to do SQL operation like 'a_%_% which finds any values that start with "a" and are at least 3 characters in length in Tableau.

6)How to do SQL operation like 'a%o' which finds any values that start with "a" and ends with "o" in Tableau.

I have attached my Tableau workbook for your reference.

Regards,

Dhritiman