8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2018 8:33 PM by lei.chen.0

Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard

Dani Baskaran

Hello Everyone,

My first question in the forum

I'm trying to prepare a dashboard for my research data that has comma separated values in a column. The desired dashboard would be like the one below, where when I select any month in 'How Often', i should have the corresponding changes in the 'genre count' bar chart. Also, when i click in any genre count, i should have the results reflected in the 'How Often' chart.

In short, I should be able to use results from both the charts as filters in the dashboard ('Use as filter' option)

To get the count of the genres from the comma separated column values, I'm trying to use this answer - Multiple Fields with Comma separated values

I hope i'm clear with my question. Please do let me know if i'm not.

• 1. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
          lei.chen.0

Hello Dani,

Happy first participation in Tableau Community!

Depending on the data format,

filter from [How Often] to [By Genre] is simple, while the reverse is not.

An alternative is to use parameter for Genre filter.

A sample workbook is attached.

image.png

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
            suresh.gooty

your question is not clear, but i can guess that you want to split values and use as filters. you can first split column in data source and then try to use those values as filters. will see your file and try to figure out what you are looking exactly. or you can again repost the question itself in same thread.

• 3. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
              Dani Baskaran

Thanks, Lei Chen

'filter from [How Often] to [By Genre] is simple, while the reverse is not'  - exactly what i'm struggling with..

Anyway, as you have suggested, using parameter for genre seems to be a good alternative.

Also, i'm unable to see any working solution in the workbook that you have attached in your response.

Thanks,

Dani

• 4. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
                lei.chen.0

Hello Dani,

Dani Baskaran wrote:

Also, i'm unable to see any working solution in the workbook that you have attached in your response.

I'd like to confirm about what you are unable to see.

You can't find the attached workbook or,

the sample dashboard in the workbook has some problem?

If you can't find the attached workbook, please copy & past the following link into your browser's access bar and go.

https://community.tableau.com/message/841781

Regards

Lei

• 5. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
                  Dani Baskaran

Hey Lei,

When i download and open your workbook, there is no data pre-loaded in it. I get the following error message:

Unable to complete action

Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook "C:\Users\dani\Downloads\genre_test2.twbx". The load was not able to complete successfully.

Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook "C:\Users\dani\Downloads\genre_test2.twbx". The load was not able to complete successfully.

Error(506,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(506,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(507,14): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '((cards,viewpoint?)|(viewpoints,active,device-preview))' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(544,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(544,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(545,14): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '((cards,viewpoint?)|(viewpoints,active,device-preview))' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(557,66): no declaration found for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(557,66): attribute 'uuid' is not declared for element 'simple-id' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

Error(558,14): element 'simple-id' is not allowed for content model '((cards,viewpoint?)|(viewpoints,active,device-preview))' (id: C:\Users\dani\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\2133803542\genre_test2.twb)

I use Tableau Desktop Professional Edition v2018.1.0

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong.

• 6. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
                    lei.chen.0

Hello Dani,

Sorry that it seems a version problem since the workbook I attached is 2018.3

A 2018.1 version is attached again.

Regards

Lei

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Comma separated values - 'Use as filter' in dashboard
                      Dani Baskaran

Thanks, Lei. It worked!

I'll go with the parameter alternative.