5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2018 9:06 AM by Paul Wachtler

How to add a button go to another dashboard, removing all filters set by action?

Cole Coen

I have two main dashboards. The first is just a dashboard with 3 horizontal stacked bar charts. Each of those 3 charts have their own individual worksheet with the graph inside. The second dashboard is a "Details" dashboard. It has 3 tables, each on an individual worksheet and correspond to the 3 horizontal stacked bar charts.

I have created an action on the first dashboard that when I select one bar on one of the stacked charts, it takes me to the second dashboard and filters that dashboard. I need some way to un-filter that list. I'd like to add a button that I can click to take me back to the original dashboard (first one with the charts) and at the same time it will de-filter all the filters applied by the action (not the filters in the individual worksheets that create the graphs).

2nd problem I am facing but much lower priority:

One note about the 3 stacked bar charts:

chart 1 & 2: a few different metrics (different columns) colored by yellow & red. chart 1 is Type A accounts, chart 2 is type B

chart 3: red & yellow, type A + Type B (just an overall stacked bar showing the total number of reds & yellows in the dataset)

When I click any of the charts and it brings me to the second dashboard with the tables, it actually filters all 3 tables (since Type A & Type B can have some of the same metrics).. not sure how to workaround this but this is not nearly as important as the back button

• 1. Re: How to add a button go to another dashboard, removing all filters set by action?
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Cole,

It sounds like you need to adjust your Filter Actions.  While there's not exactly a way to create a button to bring you back and clear the filter, you can do those two things separately.  In 2018.3 there's native functionality to create dashboard navigation buttons.  For earlier versions, follow these instructions: https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/create-a-back-button

For clearing the filter, make sure that you have "Show all values" selected under "Clearing the selection will:".  When you go back to your first dashboard, if you click anywhere on the dashboard it will clear your previous selection, and thereby clear the filter on the table on the second dashboard.

For your second issue, make sure your "Target Sheets" are set correctly on your Filter Actions.  I'm assuming you have three separate filter actions set up, one for each set of tables on the first and second dashboard.  If you set it up that way, your "Source Sheet" should be one of the tables on the first dashboard, and your "Target Sheet" should be the single corresponding table on the second dashboard.  If you set it up this way, then your tables will filter the way you want them to.

Here's a link with more detail on setting up Filter Actions:

Filter Actions - Tableau

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: How to add a button go to another dashboard, removing all filters set by action?
            Cole Coen

Hey Paul,

The information provided for my second issue definitely helped and resolved that. For the first issue I am still having some trouble.

My two dashboards: Dashboard 1 with the 3 stacked charts and Dashboard 2 with 3 detail tables

Dashboard 1 has 3 sheets, each containing the chart used in the dashboard. Dashboard 2 has 3 detail sheets, each with an individual detail table. I have a "back" sheet but there is nothing on it except for the button that I click. Do I need to apply any filters there?

The action I have set up on Dashboard 2 is:

- Source Sheets: Dashboard 2 - Detail sheet 1, 2 and 3 along with the "Back" sheet

- Target Sheets: Dashboard 1 - all 3 corresponding chart sheets

- Run action on Select

- "Show all Values"

Nothing happens when I click the button other than bring me to Dashboard 1. The filters are still applied on Dashboard 2 if I manually click to go back to Dashboard 2 (not selecting something on the charts). For example if I click something on chart 1 on Dashboard 1, the chart 1 detail table with be filtered on Dashboard 2. If I click the back button, chart 1 detail table is still filtered on Dashboard 2, and the chart 1 detail sheet still has the first action filter, and all 3 chart sheets has the "back" action filter which I don't think actually does anything.

Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: How to add a button go to another dashboard, removing all filters set by action?
              Paul Wachtler

Hi Cole,

Glad that I was able to help resolve your second issue.  Also that's great that you were able to implement the back button.  The dashboard actions are working as expected, but their functionality is slightly different from how you expect them to work.

First, for your action on Dashboard 2, you don't want any of the three detail tables selected as "Source Sheets".  You want the Back button worksheet to be the only source sheet.  You do have the Target Sheets set correctly.

Second, when you navigate back to the first dashboard, it won't automatically clear the filters on your second dashboard.  Think about it this way - your tables on your second dashboard are being filtered when you select a value on your first dashboard.  Therefore, you need to clear that selection from the first dashboard to clear the filter from the second dashboard. 

Selecting "Show All Values" on your back button worksheet won't clear those filters.  You need to have that set on your dashboard action for your first dashboard.  Then, after you navigate back to your first dashboard, click anywhere on the dashboard and that will clear the selection and thereby clear the filter on the second dashboard.

Best,
              Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to add a button go to another dashboard, removing all filters set by action?
                Cole Coen

This fixed all my problems! Thank you so much for the help!