3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2018 10:27 AM by Kent Marten

Idea needed to make a report on customer who are not regular.

SHAILESH Dixit

Hi,

I am working in a retail industry. I need to find the customers who don't place order with my company on the regular basis. I need to find them and publish the report along with the time of their purchases in last 3 year. FYI: We have around 6000 customers.

Please suggest or give any insights how can I make such a report.

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Idea needed to make a report on customer who are not regular.
          Kent Marten

Hi Shailesh,

It's hard to answer this question without seeing or playing with the data. My suggestion is to start playing with the data yourself.  Using Superstore (sample data included with Tableau), I started by creating a view that shows unique orders by customer. Filter this view to show only customers with infrequent orders (i.e. CNTD(Order ID) < 5). Filter the view to the customers that remain. Then, depending on what else you want to report, use order date to display when purchases occurred. I have never considered this question before and I built this (image below) in less than the time it took me to type up this response.

The best advice I have is try a few different ways to present the data before you settle on what works for you and your audience.

Best,

Kent M.

• 2. Re: Idea needed to make a report on customer who are not regular.
            SHAILESH Dixit

Thanks Kent for the impressive explanation.

The problem I am facing is how should I pull customers who don't purchase regularly(using what logic). Suppose last year customer ordered only in May this year he ordered in October.

Separating those customers from the heap is a task. Please revert if you could suggest some logic to separate these customers.

Thank You.

• 3. Re: Idea needed to make a report on customer who are not regular.
              Kent Marten

The logic I used in my above example was simple -- for any customer with less than 5 orders over the course of three years, consider this a target customer. 

You need to decide on what constitutes an infrequent customer.  Is it time between orders?  Is it total orders?

Kent