i searched the community on this, but I was not able to find a good answer.
i have two data sources A and B where A is an aggregated version of B removing some details.
in my workbook, i have two dashboards Main and Secondary. the Main dashboard contains sheets from Data Source A and has an action filter that applied to sheets on the Secondary dashboard. meaning that when clicking in the main dashboard it goes to the secondary one. the secondary dashboard contains sheets from both A and B datasources. the action filter from the Main Dashboard applies to all sheets in the Secondary Dashboard.
my issue is that once i am in the Secondary dashboard, i would like to have a quick filter to change the value of the action filter AND have it apply to all sheet in the dashboard. getting the actual filter is easy enough, but it cannot be applied to sheets that have data source B as their primary source.
i thought of a few ways of getting around this by using data blending, but i have not yet found an ideal solution. i have attached a workbook that shows what i am trying to accomplish using a random data set since i cannot share my customer data.
in this example, i have an action filter on the Main dashboard where the source sheet uses data source "Aggregation". this filter gets applied to all sheets on the Secondary dashboard. i then want a quick filter that changes the country on all sheets in the Secondary dashboard.
In the secondary dashboard i made two different maps that show what i have tried. both of these maps use lat/long and city name from the "Details" data source since that is the only source that contains the info, but for one map i used the "Aggregation" source as the primary and for the other i used the "Details" source as the primary. here are the issues with each
- using "Details" as the primary data source filters ok on the original action, but then the action quick filter cannot be applied to it
this would mean that i would need to have two country quick filters, one that acts on the map and one that acts on the rest of the sheets in the dashboard
- using the "Aggregate" source as primary allows me to use the action filter on it, but it then does not display the dots on the map correctly when a country with more than one city is selected. i am guessing this is because the lat/long and city info are treated as attributes, so if there is more than one city in that country then it just shows us as "*"
While i think that there are some ways to get around this, unfortunately i have some limitations that i cannot get around:
- i cannot join the two data sources because of performance reasons
- the Secondary dashboard does contain sheets from both data sources
- there should be a quick way to filter all sheets in the Secondary dashboard
Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen are really appreciated.
Action Filter example.twbx 1.7 MB