5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 12:45 PM by Jim Dehner

Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?

Meghan Parnell

Hello-

New to tableau and I'm not sure where to even start on this. I sent a survey and have responses to two questions - household income and household size. I would like to use my responses to visualize who is at above poverty level and who is below. I'm not sure how to think about this- would it be best to make two sets and then use a formula within the set? Or is there another way /better way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to see each response to survey by color- in or out of poverty.

I'm attaching my packaged workbook and the sheet titled - household income sets by poverty is where I need help.  I'm also attaching the guidelines for poverty which I would need to incorporate into the calculation.

Thank you!

Meghan

• 1. Re: Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?
          Jim Dehner

Hi Meghan

is this what you wanted to see

Here is how it is calculated

first add and index to the horizontal axis and one to the vertical axis (don't worry we will hid them later)

I made the calculation discrete and gave them names so I could distinguish them

place them on the rows and columns shelf

the calculation is

then create the viz by dragging the poverty level to color and expand the size of the squares to fill the cell

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?
            Meghan Parnell

Thank you Jim- this is helpful. I was able to follow your directions and come up with the same thing. I just had to figure out how to hide the vertical and horizontal by clicking on the carrot and unchecking show header.

I have a couple follow up questions if you don't mind.

How do I rename the Null value on the legend to read Not poverty? Would I change the calculation?

Also how does the index horizontal and vertical work- how does it know what is and isn't the poverty level?

And finally will this only work on this specific grid visualization (not sure what this one is technically called) ? Would I have to create another way to calculate poverty if I wanted to visualize in another way for example on a bar graph or map?

Thanks so much for your assistance and quick response!

Meghan

• 3. Re: Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?
              Jim Dehner

Hi

in order asked

this change will add the "Not poverty"

you can then put it on the viz and either leave the color like this

or you can change the colors by opening the color mark

Index() is a table calculation and it is positional - it is just counting the position on the table  -

you created ranges (strings) that were related to the HHI and HH size from your word doc - I just took advantage of how they were placed on the chart -

your data does not have the actual HHI - only the group that the HHI falls within

It is much more complex but could still be accomplished - i would convert the string responses to numeric with a rather long case statement or if statement that placed responder into a HHI income bucket from 1 to 10 (you have 10 buckets - I would use the contains statement and focus on the upper $ level in each group)

Then the HHI size is already a number = so I would use the the same poverty level calc  except use the Numeric HHI indicator and HH size in the formula -

the last point is different than the post - if you wanted to do some sort of counting above or below the poverty level I would convert the HHI buckets into numbers as above to allow numeric operations - (greater than and less than is much easier with numeric values

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?
                Meghan Parnell

Thanks! This answers all my questions!

Meghan

• 5. Re: Where to start to calculate poverty level by income and household?
                  Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

if you need something else let me know

Jim